Thursday, August 1, 2013

Shhh…

08.01.13

Psalm 62.1-2 1 For God alone my soul waits in silence; from him comes my salvation. 2 He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. (ESV)

There’s something to be said about being composed in the face of great calamity and composure comes from waiting for God in confident silence, not in whining and moaning and acting like He hasn’t a clue about you.

For from God alone comes salvation – no one else. He alone is our Rock and Salvation and fortress of defense against what ails us and bugs us and frightens us. I might be somewhat shaken by circumstances and situations but I won’t be greatly shaken because God is all of the above. There is something to be said about composure, and there is great solace in silence before Almighty God, honoring His majesty, His grace, His power, and His presence. From Him is our salvation.

I tend to be a whiner. I need to learn to stop whining and remember Psalm 62, especially this little statement of faith. I need to learn to say to my soul: shhh… He is in control and from Him comes salvation even if I have to go through the worst imaginable times to get there. Shhh… be confidently silent before God!

What a refreshing statement. What a relief: I needn’t worry about who I am, or what I have or don’t have; and I don’t have to give up my faith because God doesn’t do something about it all this very moment. He is my salvation. Period. He is my Rock and my Fortress. Now and forever.

A mighty Fortress is my God; a bulwark never failing.
My Helper He amid the flood of all my ills prevailing.

If that’s what He is, and Who He is, then shush up my unbelieving and small soul and silently, gladly, joyfully behold your God!

Thank You Father for this word today and for the invitation to be still and know You are God; let all the earth be silent before You! Amen.

No comments: