Thursday, March 3, 2016

The Quest

3/3/2016

Mark 10.51-52 51 And Jesus said to him, “What do you want me to do for you?” And the blind man said to him, “Rabbi, let me recover my sight.” 52 And Jesus said to him, “Go your way; your faith has made you well.” And immediately he recovered his sight and followed him on the way. – St. Mark

I used to know a woman who complained. It wasn’t like an occasional thing, but all the time. Being the personality type I am (or was), I asked her one day: what do you want (out of life)? I didn’t mean from me; but in life. I’m not sure anyone had ever asked her that question. She didn’t know how to answer. She also avoided me like the plague after that.

One day a blind man heard Jesus was coming by and he began to cry out: "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!” (like to the point he wouldn’t shut up.) Many around him tried to get him to be quiet, but when they did, he cried out all the more, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!” Some people know what they want, and they won’t rest until they get it. The blind man was one of those people.

When Jesus asked him, what do you want, he answered, “Rabbi, let me recover my sight.” He knew he was blind. He knew what his problem was. And for some reason, he knew Whom to ask to find the answer.

There are many in this world who don’t know what they want. They’re frustrated and tired of trying to find the elusive, and it really sets the tone for their daily living. But then there are those who know what they want (need) and they set out to find it. The blind man (named Bartimaeus) knew this Jesus was the Answer to his problem.

My job on earth isn’t to solve your problem(s); my job is to tell you about the One who’s helped me and can help you (whoever you are; whatever your issues are). Like the woman I asked, what’s your problem, Jesus is asking each of us: what’s your problem? Some, like her, cannot identify just what it is their issue(s) is; others, like the blind man in Mark 10, have a heart to see Jesus is, and make their way steadfastly toward Him. Most of us could take a lesson or two from blind Bartimaeus.

Lord, regardless of whether we truly see or not, may we have eyes to see and ears to hear that You are our Vision, and You have set out to help us with what we really what and need: You. Use me to help others in their quest for truth… amen.

No comments: