Friday, March 18, 2016

Committing My Way

3/18/2016

Psalm 37.5 Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him and He will act. – David, the King

Pretty simple statement: commit your way. I am guilty of fretting – I fret. I fret about all kinds of stuff all the time. Today, I read in Joshua 1 and 2: Be strong and courageous. That was like the national motto for the ancient Israeli’s. They were commanded by God to go in and occupy the land the He had given them. But the inhabitants of the land hadn’t been included in that conversation. Just do what I tell you to do.

Joshua sent two spies into Jericho and what the two learned was the inhabitants of the land were terrified of the Israeli’s and their God. The inhabitants were mortified of a God who did real stuff, and their gods only appeared to do stuff. The two spies returned to the camp and reported: piece of cake, all we have to do is go in and take over. Be strong and courageous.

Today, life is like that for us who believe in the Lord. Today, we’re not going in and destroying people; today, we’re to go in and destroy strongholds of thought which attempt to deny a God that cannot be controlled. People don’t like an uncontrollable God. But life itself is uncontrollable: the weather, the way men think, sickness, disease – none of these things are controllable. But God has sent us into the realms of mankind to bring the hope that only an uncontrollable God brings: life more abundant.

I think I needed to read this portion of Scripture today to remind myself of how it seems God works: He tells me, go and do; and I’m to go and do. Like Joshua, like Moses, like Abraham, like David, and all the rest: Go in and do as I direct you; and I will be with you, and bring you success. (Joshua 1.8) It doesn’t matter who you are, where you live, or what you do (excluding the immoral, illegal, and fattening).

I’m to commit, whatever it is I’m doing to the Lord, trust in Him, and He will act. Like the saints of old, they were sent into the land to conquer it and occupy – I’m to do, as God’s emissary, the same: go in, and take over. The commission is mine, the authority is mine, and the Kingdom is mine. Be strong and courageous, for the Lord God has sent me. I work for Him, and He will act.

Father, it seems to never end, I’ve not been committing; I’ve been whining and complaining, and I’ve been fretting. Joshua and the people had some very difficult things to do and yet, You were with them. I have some difficult things to do and still, You are with me. Help me to remember Who I’m working for, and to keep my commitment to You in all I do. May I be strong and courageous. May I not boast in what I think I accomplish, but may I trust in You. Amen

No comments: