Wednesday, March 16, 2016

The Address 40

3/16/2016

Psalm 40.17 As for me, I am poor and needy, but the Lord takes thought for me. You are my help and my deliverer; do not delay, O my God. – David

As I wander the halls of the Book of Psalms (the ‘p’ is silent), I never forget the address, 40. It’s a special place for me and I never tire of reading a poem that begins: I waited patiently for the Lord; he inclined to me and heard my cry.

That sentence speaks volumes to me as I think of my ancient brother in the faith that did his best to walk with God during his days on earth. It’s apparent that David had sought God from his earliest days and he had parents who were strong in the faith. And it’s apparent that David had a deep relationship with God.

So, it doesn’t surprise me that David opens this psalm with: I waited patiently for the Lord… Patience truly is a good thing – we call it a virtue. And as much as I love reading the beginning of Psalm 40, I also love reading the ending: As for me, I am poor and needy, but the Lord takes thought of me. I think those are the words of honesty.

I have lots to be thankful for: my life, my health, my family; but none of these things amount to anything in the presence of Him who sees me in my patience, and inclines to me, and hears my cries. It’s not whining, it’s the ebb and flow of life. It’s the push and pull of life. It’s the knowing and not knowing of life. It’s the reality that there are some things in life that I can control and there are other things I cannot. I cannot fix stupidity.

But God can. And God does. It appears my job is to wait patiently for the Lord to rescue me from my own stupidity. I’m to wait patiently for the Lord to incline to me and hear my cry. My waiting builds my faith and establishes my courage that God is on my side and He cares for me. And so, I am left with realizing my poverty and concluding that there is only One who truly gives a rip about me: God. God, takes thought for me; He is my Help and Deliverer. Sometimes, like my ancient friend, I add: O my God, hurry!

God inclines to us when we wait for Him. God takes thought of us. And God comes to our aid quickly. It may seem like He’s taking His time, but if we think about how long it got us to get into the circumstances we are, God’s rescue is right on time. God inclines to us, hears our cries, thinks of us and comes quickly to our aid. Right-On-Time God.

Father, I thank You that You are always right on time. You not only know exactly what we need, but
know exactly when we need it. Lord build my faith and that of others to wait patiently because we trust that You’ll come through; You always do – amen.

No comments: