Thursday, March 17, 2016

A Truth Not Seen Heard or Imagined

3/17/2016

1 Corinthians 2.9 But, as it is written, “What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love Him”— St. Paul quoting Isaiah 64.4

I always have trouble with Galatians, and the Corinthians letters because, to me, they are stern and defensive. Now, I wasn’t there, so I can see the look on Paul’s face or hear the tone in his voice, but the letters don’t sound warm like Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, and the two to the Thessalonians. Galatians and Corinthians just sound stern.

But punctuating the sternness of the letters to Galatia and Corinth are some marvelous truths placed within them that give an old Gentile like me hope. What what is remarkable to me, is the tone in the letters to Galatia and Corinth are similar to the tone in the prophetic writings of the Old Testament: people, please get your act together – you don’t truly know or appreciate Who your God is! That seems like a common thread from the days of old until now.

Today, March 17th is recognized (at least in most Anglican-influenced countries) as Saint Patrick’s Day. I don’t know why, but it seems to be a culturally accepted practice to wear green colored clothing, or accessories on SPD. It’s also acceptable to drink green colored liquids and eat corned (or peppered) beef, potatoes; and of course, cabbage. Hmmm. We don’t know who we are, and apparently we don’t care.

But that’s because we mightn't understand (or know) God. Man, (in and of himself) hasn’t seen, heard, or understood what God has prepared for those who love Him. Many think our days are filled with fate, karma, or luck. And many either have one or all in varying degrees on any given day. But God is not a God of fate, karma, or luck (no matter the color of the apparel you’re wearing, or whether you believe that your confetti is bricks); and your questionable heritage entitles you to be bussed because of your t-shirt says so.

Today, wearing green and feeling odd about it, I’ve run across a truth: What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, [is] what God has prepared for those who love Him. I could use somma dat right now. I could use somma dat encouragement which reminds me that even when I think this, God thinks that. That’s good news!

But it ain’t once and done news – it’s every stinking day, the truth is, Good News; and that is how marvelous and majestic God is. What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, [is] what God has prepared for those who love Him. Short-sightedness isn’t going to get the job done according to what Paul tells us by quoting Isaiah. What I need is to relax – I haven’t yet seen or heard or imagined what God has in store for me – I just need to trust that that is reality, and I need to live like it.

Father, it is true, no one knows what is in Your heart but You. And You are good and holy and loving and kind; and You’re fixing to blow the blessed socks off your kids because they love You and trust that even when they can’t figure it all out, they’re in good company because: no eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no heart has imagined, what You’ve prepared for those who love You. It's gonna be good! - Amen

No comments: