Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Soul Control

3/30/2016

Psalm 42.6 My soul is cast down within me; therefore I remember you from the land of Jordan and of Hermon, from Mount Mizar. – The Sons of Korah

Regardless of how we look at it, the cure for depression and uncertainty is simply this: “[When] my soul is downcast within me, I will remember You.” If there is one thing I have to look forward to everyday, it’s every day. And with everyday there is the incompleteness of this world, and our natural propensity to think this is all there is and there ain’t no more. But that is faulty thinking and doubt.

A downcast soul cries out for solutions and joy. I don’t know many who enjoy embracing fear and uncertainty; I just know many who do. We all want to be happy; we all want to be free. We all want peace. But none of us can have solutions and joy, happiness and freedom apart from the power and presence of God. So, we must instruct ourselves to hope in God; to remember it’s our duty to praise Him for all that He has done for us; the pleasant, and that which we perceive as unpleasant.

In our world, in the reality of being fooled by the power of our circumstances, we let things get to us. The reason that happens is multi-faceted.  One of those facets is we allow the things of this world to overwhelm us. We let what is said, and what we hear, to flow into our lives – our minds – unfiltered. It’s no wonder we let peace slip away when we are so careless about what we see, hear, and believe. Our minds have to be taught and our lives have to be directed. A big part of that is simply and honestly using self-directed words and actions: Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God. Easy-peasy.

The soul has to be taught. The soul has to be directed. The soul needs to be told what is real and what isn’t; what can be controlled, and what can’t. The soul must be controlled or the soul, with faulty thinking, doubt and other residents within, will begin to attempt to control. When the soul is in control there is no telling where it will end.

Ah, but with God in control of my spirit within, controlling the soul, mountains of adversity, difficulty, and fear are overcome. If our circumstance is meant to be the thing that sends us to heaven, what is our worry? Why are you so downcast my soul, hope in God!

I think that is precisely the point of contact where my relationship with God becomes alive. If I can fearlessly hope in Him in difficulty, then what will be the outcome? If I can fearlessly walk with Him, what can stand in my way? Then, the only thing I need be concerned with, is allowing anything to stand in the way of my understanding: that I must control my easily fooled soul.

My soul is cast down within me; therefore I remember You…

Today, O Lord, help me with my mind games and to fearlessly correct and discipline my mind and my soul, that You are in control and I am to listen to, and follow only You. Help me to have courage to tell myself that I am to praise You when it feels like it is all falling apart and to trust You no matter what. You are my God and there is none greater than You – may I live in that truth today! Amen

No comments: