Friday, May 1, 2015

Broken Is



05.01.15

Psalm 31.7 I will rejoice and be glad in your steadfast love, because you have seen my affliction; you have known the distress of my soul… - David

Sometimes I have an inkling – an inkling of just how screwed up I really am. It’s bad. It’s irreparable. But in all my screwed upped-ness, I will rejoice and be glad in God’s love because He knows just how screwed up I am and He loves me still. He’s seen it. He knows. And one day, because of what He’s already done, it will be a thing of the past.

In some sense it’s already past – at least the way God sees it – He’s not looking at me the way I was; He’s looking at me the way I am now: screwed up beyond belief, but accepted by Him because of Christ Jesus. And so for today, I remain in my affliction but know He has all my bases covered. He is on my side and He is showing me what are really the most important things in this life, awaiting the life to come.

Paul, the apostle said, we will all be changed – in the twinkling of an eye (1 Corinthians 15.50ff) I’m not sure what that means completely, but I think somehow, some way there will, one day, be a difference that I’ve never known before. And then my affliction will be gone. I’ll see and I’ll know.

Today, this has been a profound revelation to me that even the most celebrated of saints – king David – saw his brokenness and dealt with it before God. It’s one thing to be broken – it’s another to know it…and to know that despite it, God still loves, cares and has done something about it.

That’s the kind of God we serve. That’s the kind of God we have. He knows and He cares and He has done something about it.

Father, as You know, Your son is mostly a disheveled pile of crap. But in Your love, Your omnipotence, Your omniscience and omnipresence, through Jesus, You have made all things new. I know I am broken, but You have made all things new and I am going to cling to that in hope of an eternity spent with You. You’ve seen my affliction and You’ve known the distress of my soul. And You’ve made a way. Amen

Life is like a seed: a seed isn’t repaired; it’s destroyed. Yet out of its destruction comes completely new life – and more seeds. We must cease looking for ways to repair life and settle for the utter destruction of what is, so that what will be, may gloriously come forth!

No comments: