Saturday, May 9, 2015

I Will



5/9/2015

Psalm 9.1-2 1 I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart;
    I will recount all of your wonderful deeds.
2 I will be glad and exult in you;
    I will sing praise to your name, O Most High. David (ESV)

Recently, I read in a book about the concepts of always wrong, and never wrong. I think most of the issues and troubles in life can be judged according to how we view our approach to always wrong and never wrong.

When David wrote the psalm quoted above, he focused on never wrong: it is never wrong to give thanks to the Lord with one’s whole heart. A thankful heart is a full and satisfied heart. A thankful heart possesses a measure of strength and character not found in a thankless heart. It is never wrong to be thankful.

He then went on to write, he would recount all of God’s wonderful deeds. It is never wrong to remember the things God has done for us, and the things He’s done in this world. Many blame God for what He hasn’t done: if God is so loving, why is there such evil in this world!? It isn’t that He hasn’t done nothing, it’s just for those who cannot see His goodness and greatness are obscured because of focus, not reality.

David also said: I will be glad and exult in You. There’s a certain joyful humility that is glad for the presence of God in all of the things over which we have no control. I have no control, but God is in control of all that is wrong and He’s promised to care for me in the midst of all that assaults me.

And lastly, this great saint of old said: I will sing praise to your name, O Most High.(There isn’t an exclamation point here but there needs to be.) It is never ever wrong to sing praise to God. It isn’t naiveté; it isn’t burying one’s head; it’s humbly and happily giving credit where credit is due. And doing so with a happy heart. We usually recognize human happiness when someone is unabashedly singing in the midst of this oft mundane and troubled world.

David said, “I will”. In two short sentences he says I will four times. He had his heart made up that though the wrong often seemed so strong, God was a refuge and haven for the needy and the humble who ran to Him for shelter. I will.

I can focus on all that is wrong and always wrong. I can, and that is my choice. OR, I can choose to live according to what is never wrong; that can be the basis of my, I will’s. It makes an enormous difference in which way I choose to live. My haven, my refuge: what is never wrong. It is never wrong to trust God and to find ways to love, serve, and praise Him. It is never wrong to call upon Him or to lift joyful song knowing He is in control and I can trust Him when I don’t understand.

Father, may my day, this day be filled with all the things that are never wrong starting with following David’s example of what I will do this day: thank You, remember Your deeds, be happy and joyful in Your presence and in praising Your mighty Name. To You be the glory! Amen.

No comments: