Sunday, May 17, 2015

Better Than Worry

5/17/2015 

Psalm 77.12 12 “I will consider all your works and meditate on all your mighty deeds.” – Asaph 

I appreciate the psalms of Asaph. I like how he thought, and I like the way he expressed himself and what he viewed as his relationship with God. Asaph seems to me to have been a man who thought often and long about God: I will consider all Your works and meditate on all Your mighty deeds 

When is the last time we took the time to consider all of God’s works and meditated on all His mighty deeds.  Just a quick look at the marvel of the human body ought to raise some interest: the marvel of its engineering, structure and usefulness. Paul said in 2 Corinthians 5, to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. That means to be absent from the Lord is to be present in the body – that thing that God designed for us to live in until we are clothed with immortality. God gave us a body as our earthly dwelling. 

God also gave us Earth as our present habitation. I was driving home last night from the area around a lake near where I live and I marveled at the beauty of the surroundings. So, of course, I took pictures. I never tire of sunsets, sunrises, the mountains, the way the sunlight plays upon the glories of our surroundings. These are all things that God has graciously given us to enjoy – they are evidences of His works and His deeds; and His great love. We had no say in our existence, and no say in our environment; and God has given us all to enjoy and appreciate – if we will. 

I don’t think Asaph was a tree-hugger but here in the above, we see he apparently allowed his thoughts to attain to a higher level and I think he took the time to appreciate what was given to him by God. God definitely expresses Himself in the creation around us. Ain’t nothin’ like wonder and gratefulness. 

With all which bombards my mind these days, it is amazing what a few minutes of considering God’s works and His mighty deeds can do for the soul. If nothing else, spending time thinking about that frees me from worrying about all the other stuff I have no control over (but inwardly insist I should). God, and my life, deserve better than worry. And my faith needs the nourishment of consideration and meditation about all that God has done: in my life and around it. 

Father, forgive me for the foolishness of worry. Help me with the helpfulness of thinking about You and what You’ve done, and are doing. You never stop; and I can never stop thinking about it: at least I shouldn’t.  Father, I offer my mind this day for the exercise of consideration and meditation of Your wonders and Your deeds. Amen.

No comments: