Saturday, May 30, 2015

Thinking Rightly about God



05.30.15

Proverbs 30.5-6 5 Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. 6 Do not add to his words, lest he rebuke you and you be found a liar. – Agur, son of Jakeh

I think about my thoughts of God. Do I represent Him well? Do I think correctly about Him? Are my thoughts about God right? Do they have to be?

If I take the above at face-value, then it is important to think rightly and appropriately about God. It is important to think honestly and courageously about God because to do so, reveals what I really think about Him. It is important to think appropriately about God because to do otherwise is a recipe for disappointment. Agur said, Do not add to His words, lest He rebuke you and you be found a liar. We’ll not only lie to ourselves, but we’ll lie to others.

Adding to God’s words can be as simple as trying to live life by formulas. Formulaic thinking may fit well in human logic but it fails miserably in God’s. Trying to predict the unpredictable is frustrating and futile. It’ll lead to disappointment. Who wants to be disappointed with God? And further, my formulaic thinking may lead others to be disappointed with me. Disappointment erodes trust.

It is true: every word of God proves true. He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him (in his words). But trusting in Him requires some heavy listening, some vulnerably courageous obedience, and a steadfast refusal to take God out of context. God is predictably unpredictable but He is immovably faithful, untiringly grace-ful, and steadfastly loving. My circumstances only ought to lead me to praise Him for what He is accomplishing in and through my life.

Where I get into trouble is when I begin to believe that if I only do this, God will do that. It isn’t that simple and when I go down that road, I wind up disappointed or humiliated, or worse, untrustworthy in my representation of the Almighty. My agenda means nothing – all that matters is taking refuge in what God has said.

My biggest challenge is fighting the temptation to put God in a box. To make Him predictable. My greatest reward is when I simply allow God to be God (to let go and let God) and trust that all is under His control and I am to trust Him with the results. The effort of trusting Him brings the results He deems, not just the fulfillment of my dreams.

Father, every word You speak proves true and You are a shield to me when I take refuge in You. Help me to be honest before You and to trust that You are trustworthy no matter what I am going through. (I think of Pastor Saeed as I pray that.) My life isn’t measured by getting my way, but by trusting completely in everything You do and say. Your word, Your presence is my refuge. Amen.

No comments: