Sunday, April 26, 2015

A Sign

04.26.15

Psalm 86. Show me a sign of your favor, that those who hate me may see and be put to shame because you, Lord, have helped me and comforted me. – David

Ever since the day my Pastor in Payette Idaho (all those years ago) said there was a more modern meaning of grace than the classical meaning: unmerited favor; I realized, what in the world could be more meaningful than favor; what word could we use to replace, favor? So, when I read today and saw the above, I said, that’s what it is: it’s favor!

Grace is a much used but misunderstood word, and it’s been my habit has been to use the word, favor, when I read or hear the word, grace. Favor certainly is more understandable. Do me a favor. Can I ask a favor of you?

David, the great Judean king, is credited with psalm 86. If anyone needed favors from God, it was David. David lives a very tumultuous life. He was called to be the next king whilst the current king was in power. (If we understand anything about monarchies, it’s this: we don’t understand the meaning of the word competition. We kill competition.) And David for many years lived under this threat.

David didn’t ask to be king. He didn’t lay around the sheepfolds all day whining, O God, I’m so tired of smelly sheep crap! Would You let me be king? But David was called, and when he was called he became a target to those in power; certainly to the then sitting king: Saul.

And David learned to pray. David knew the presence of God from those days of smelly sheep and David knew how to praise God; it was a part of his being. So David praised God and God took him to lead a nation that had forgotten how to pray. And sing. And praise. And David’s prayer was: Lord, show me a sign of Your favor, that those who hate me may see…

David didn’t merely pray for their destruction (which he did often); he prayed that his enemies would see the presence of Almighty God and repent. I’m just doing what God called me to do and if you only understood that, you’d praise Him too! Isn’t that like you and me, who’ve got friends and relatives and neighbors who don’t believe us, and don’t care for our God and… if only God, that they could see Your goodness, mercy, and love

My prayer isn’t for: in your face! My prayer is for a manifestation of His grace that not only may I be, but also that they may see, and then be set free.

Father, a sign of Your favor isn’t really a merit-badge – I don’t merit anything! But You favor Your children, and I believe (that for whatever reason) You favor me. I pray for a sign of Your favor that they may see; and let the chips fall wherever they may… Amen

No comments: