Sunday, July 6, 2014

Where to Start

07.06.14

Hebrews 3.19 So we see that they were not able to enter, because of their unbelief.

Oh, where to start…

I just got back from Africa this past Friday morning about 12:05 a.m. I have only begun the process of processing. I don’t know about you but sometimes my poor little mind gets into what I might call sensory overload. Suffice it to say, I haven’t even begun to process the data, the images, the words, the memories, the photos, the friendships… I think it’s gonna take me the rest of my life.

When my good friend, Jesse (pastor of Baker City Christian Church) invited me last year to embark on this journey I sensed that God was expressing to me: it’s time. Time to go. Time to go to another place. Time to trust in Him bigger than I maybe had to that point. So, I began to believe I was “called” to Africa; it was time to believe. It was time to conceive.

Now then, what would’ve happened had I said in my mind, “No way, impossible!” ? Well I think one of two things would’ve occurred: 1) I wouldn’t have gone; 2) God would’ve changed my mind. I had moments of pretty strong doubt in December, and as I talked with Jesse about them he said, “Hang in there, God’ll provide.” What would’ve happened had I persisted in my unbelief? See #1 above.

I’m writing to you today from the other side of belief. I went to Africa and have returned intact (at least bodily; there are other parts of me that are completely blown away.) God provided everything I needed including the money I needed to cover two week I was gone from my job. What had I not believed?

Yesterday, I had a talk with a young friend of mine and we talked about life, motivation, courage, strategic planning, and finding a job. (In order to drive dad’s car, one has to have the money to buy gas for it…) I overcame many of his objections by simply stating a Zig Ziglar quote: “You don’t have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.” (I think there is some Bible in there somewhere.) I think in life, we’re far too often afraid of the what if’s and conceivably blind to the what is; with God it is always what is.

Many in Israel didn’t enter God’s rest because they couldn’t believe or mentally conceive it existed. They missed out. (In their case, they died in the wilderness.) I don’t want that to happen to me. I don’t want to miss out and die in the wilderness of the doubting what if’s; I want to walk with God in the power and presence of the What Is. The results are huge either way.


Father, I am so glad and so thankful that You have called Your son (me) to live in belief of the what is and to shun the doubts of the what if’s. Unbelief is a powerful obstacle and for some it prevents them – eternally – from becoming Your friend. Help me in my unbelief…it still lingers at times; and help me to help others come to that place where they start to be great by coming to trusting in You! Where to start? O God right now, right here, with You! Amen!

No comments: