Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Momentary

07.23.14

Isaiah 38.5 “Go and tell Hezekiah, ‘This is what the Lord, the God of your father David, says: I have heard your prayer and seen your tears; I will add fifteen years to your life.’”

Okay, let’s imagine – God sends a close friend and confidant to you and he/she says: This is what the Lord says: I have heard your prayer and seen your tears; I will add fifteen years to your life. What do you do? How do you feel? How long is it before you notice the clocking ticking? What will you do under the specter of finality?

I think, today, I saw something that made me think. (Ya think, Paul?) I’m not sure it’s good for us to know the times or the seasons. I think our lives were made to be lived out in moments with no concern as to when or how those moments will come to an end. I wonder how many times Hezekiah looked up and said, “Oh crap! Where’d the time go!? How much is left on the royal clock!?” I wonder how many times he thought, “How much is left in the account?”

Perhaps one of the most unpleasant things I can think of is hearing: “I will add fifteen years to your life.” Does that mean, from today? Does that mean, give or take? Does that mean, I’ll see it coming; or does it mean it’ll catch me by surprise? I think there’s more of a measure of uncertainty in knowing than there is in not knowing.

Maybe I’m just reading things into this – maybe there was way more to the conversation I don’t get to “hear”. But here’s the deal – at least for me: I am way better off mentally and spiritually when I am allowed to simply seek God. For today. For this moment.

When I went to Africa and went through all the travel delays, the waiting in line, the dealing with people, I got into the habit of saying to myself: Jesus, I invite you into this moment. And when I did, things (at least for me) began to change. I seemed to feel a tangible change in the atmosphere around me. I certainly felt a change in my perspective. It changed my moments.

I think if someone gave me the sentence of life ( i.e. I’ll give you fifteen years) I think I’d have to invited Jesus into those days moment by moment. The only way to finish well is to live well. And the only way to live well is to invite Jesus into as many of my moments as possible and live them out with Him right alongside.

Funny, Jesus said: I am the way and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. (John 14.6) Funny, Jesus said: “Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.” (John 15.4) Maybe we made for us to live, not looking to when the moments run out, but for how much Jesus is in them if we invite Him…


Lord Jesus, in all I have to do today, tomorrow and the days after that, I invite You into my moments right now – they are truly all I have. Help me to live in the present and trust You’ve got the future taken care of. Help me not to watch the clock but to live for You and watch for You in everything I undertake. Thank You for Your presence. Thank You for Your power. I love You Lord! Amen.

No comments: