Saturday, July 26, 2014

Stand Fast Stand Firm Stand True

07.26.14

1 Peter 5.12 12 With the help of Silas, whom I regard as a faithful brother, I have written to you briefly, encouraging you and testifying that this is the true grace of God. Stand fast in it.

A friend of mine, Gerry, is one of the most exuberant people I know. Whenever we cross paths he always has a firm (near bone-crushing) handshake, a winner’s smile, an encouraging word, and, wait for it, always a slug on the arm or a rough smack on the back. Gerry, for the most part (that I’ve ever seen) loves God, His people and life in general. To call him exuberant may be an understatement.

What impresses me with Gerry, other than I know he’d jump in front of a bullet for me, is that whenever we part company, the last thing he always says is: Stand firm! I like that, stand firm! Gerry ain’t no dummy – he’s well aware of the world, the flesh, and the devil. He’s been around and knows all of us are susceptible to the ways of the world, the weakness of our flesh, and the deceit of our great and sneaky enemy. He always says: Stand firm!

St. Peter said, Stand firm. In the NIV, he said, Stand fast in it. In what Pete; stand fast in what? In God’s grace, that’s what. Peter wrote what we call his First Epistle and ended it with these words: “…I have written to you briefly, encouraging you and testifying that this is the true grace of God. Stand fast in it.”

St. Peter and St. Gerry are two peas in a pod – stand fast, stand firm.

Why do we read our Bibles? Why do we go to church? Why do we go to men’s group? We are challenged every moment we do those things to remember why, and stand fast. Why do we work and live in a community? Why do we shop in particular stores and buy gas at particular gas stations? Why do we lean over the fence, or shout good words across the street to our neighbors? Why do we give the other guy the parking space first? Why do we do what we do?

This is the true grace of God – stand fast in it! Really Paul, God’s grace is about a parking space? Really!? Well, yes, I suppose it is if I approach the parking space in the right frame of mind. It’s all about God’s grace and especially when no one seems to be looking or no one seems to care. That is, of course, except God. And He invites you and me to stand fast in His grace which permeates every part of our lives.

Why do we monitor what we watch on TV? Why do we avoid certain sites on the internet? Why do we avoid drooling over the beauty of another? Why do we use self-control, respect, and courtesy? Those things help remind of us this true grace (and friends, it is true!) and why it is that we stand so firm in it. The other choice I guess is to ignore it and miss out on its majesty. I don’t want to do that? Do you?


Father God, thank You for Your true grace. Thank You for Your matchless love and for Your unmovable and unchanging friendship with me, and with we, who don’t deserve it. Help me, help us, as Kingdom kids, to walk in it and stand firm in it being constantly reminded of why we do what we do. In Christ’s holy Name – Amen. (And bless Gerry today!)

No comments: