Tuesday, July 29, 2014

They Are Safe

07.29.14

Isaiah 57.1-2 1 The righteous perish, and no one takes it to heart; the devout are taken away, and no one understands that the righteous are taken away to be spared from evil. 2 Those who walk uprightly enter into peace; they find rest as they lie in death.

Where have all the flowers gone, long time passing?
Where have all the flowers gone, long time ago?
Where have all the flowers gone?
Young girls picked them, ev'ry one.
When will they ever learn? Oh, when will they ever learn?*

It’s funny what pops into your head after 40 or so years; haven’t heard or thought about this song in a long, long time. This morning, as I considered Isaiah’s words, I thought about where have all the righteous gone? Isaiah thought that too, he wrote and told us about it.

A society or culture caught up in itself hasn’t the time or the feelings for those who pass on. It’ll say things like, our thoughts and prayers are with them, but their hearts are quickly onto more pressing matters. Because pressing matters are all that matters. Thank you, citizen, for your service.

When my dad died in 1995 (in August, on the 10th) I felt broken. I felt like someone had done surgery on me and left a big hole. For the longest time, every time I went back to his hometown I felt like someone had done surgery there too – and left a big hole. I mourned his passing. Still do.

Isaiah wrote (and preached) to a culture caught up in pressing matters and they hadn’t the time nor the feelings for everyday stuff like funerals, and what happened to Joe down the street. They were caught up in survival – something God was supposed to be in charge of, but they had taken upon themselves. When we take God’s responsibilities away from Him then we’ve no time to consider where the righteous have gone, or the flowers for that matter. All that matters is one less mouth to feed, one less space filled; one less concern. (Sounds like America to me...)

Isaiah said the righteous are taken away to be spared from evil. There’s a concept. Who’d a-thunk it in the middle of all this fussing and carrying on about Assyrian invasion and big bruthuh Babylon? Who’d you say died? Oh, that’s too bad. My thoughts and prayers are with them. Well, sorry, gotta get back to work! See ya.

My job is not survival; it’s worship. I heard this on the radio the other day: worship is better than wonder. I thought about that. I thought about how many times I’ve wondered where God is in all this. I’ve wondered about the flowers. God says, Paul, I’ve never gone anywhere and your problem is you’re trying to take My Job upon yourself – don’t do that. You be you, and let Me be Me. And by the way son, the righteous always end up with Me.

Father, as disjointed as this is today, I see what Isaiah was saying: I’ll let You be You,  and me be me. I’ll not wonder but worship. Your job is to take care of me as You’ve promised, and my job is to thank You for it in worship! Thank You for Your word today and thank You, they are safe with You… Amen.


*Pete Seeger, circa 1955

No comments: