Tuesday, July 22, 2014

How Stuff Gets Done

07.22.14

Isaiah 37.32 For out of Jerusalem will come a remnant, and out of Mount Zion a band of survivors. The zeal of the Lord Almighty will accomplish this.

What has the zeal of the Lord Almighty done for you these days? You see, in Hezekiah’s day the nation was being threatened by nations stronger than them militarily. Assyria was a vast and powerful enemy bent on subduing all of Israel and Egypt and wherever else. They had armies, resources, and great power to do just about whatever they wanted – they were the champs.

Champs are good and they usually have a plan – a carefully thought out strategy of how they’re going to accomplish their goals, be they sports, medicine, politics, religion, money or what have you. You can bet there is a plan; it’s a mankind thing.

The problem with man’s schemes, dreams, reasons, or seasons is they are, for all their glamor and cleverness, no match for God: despite their apparent successes. We read in Isaiah that Sennacherib, the great monarch of Assyria was assassinated by two of his sons (apparently premeditated); where’d that come from!? Who calls that success?

At fifty-something (or whatever age I am these days) I am attempting a new career launch; you’re never too old to try something new... My schemes and dreams are not for empire-building. But I am exercising a plan and trying to follow it. It includes the Lord. He is the Plan, I am the participant. If I think I’m getting anywhere without Him, then I must carefully rethink.

I think what got to me today, as I read about Hezekiah’s struggles, was the phrase: The zeal of the Lord Almighty will accomplish this. God had plans for them that superseded the plans of a power-hungry mad man wanting to take something that wasn’t his to take (they’re a dime-a-dozen these days, aren’t they). And God promised them: For out of Jerusalem will come a remnant, and out of Mount Zion a band of survivors. No kingdom on earth would be able to stand against them. God’s zeal for them (and for His own Kingdom) was going to make that happen. (I wonder what went through Hezekiah’s mind the day he heard Sennacherib had been killed.)

I have offered this new gig to the Lord. I have planned and worked and set up some boundaries for myself. I have zeal to see it through. But I needed to be reminded today of a Zeal that infinitely surpasses my own: His zeal; the zeal of the Lord Almighty will accomplish this! (His zeal for me and for everyone else He calls child.)

So I ask, what has the zeal of the Lord Almighty done for you these days? It might surprise you.


Father, in the struggles and fears and momentary setbacks that I’ve experienced I am reminded today that the zeal of the Lord Almighty (that’d be You) has seen me thus far. Help me today to lay my fears, and struggles, and momentary defeats at Your feet (along with my plans) and watch as Your zeal for me (which I rarely think of) accomplishes above and beyond what I can ask or imagine. Help me today – Your zeal will accomplish this. Amen.

No comments: