Saturday, January 18, 2014

Where Goes the Heart

01.18.14

Luke 18.22 22 When Jesus heard his answer, he said, “There is still one thing you haven’t done. Sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

One day Jesus was asked by a “rich young ruler” (as he is referred to in other versions of this account in the other Gospels), “Good Teacher, what should I do to inherit eternal life?” I think Jesus didn’t even blink: “Why do you call me good? Only God is truly good. But to answer your question, you know the commandments: ‘You must not commit adultery. You must not murder. You must not steal. You must not testify falsely. Honor your father and mother. (Vv. 19-20)

The rich (young) man said, “I’ve obeyed all these commandments since I was young.” (V. 21) So, Jesus answered him one more time: “There is still one thing you haven’t done. Sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” (V. 22) The narrative says, the man went away sad because he was very rich.

The unspoken is not what the man did, but what he didn’t do – he didn’t care for the poor; his riches insulated him from that.

Where goes the heart when times are good and the coffers are full? Where goes the heart when religion is all about health, wealth, and a fat 401K? Where goes the heart when there is success and few worries?

The man was concerned about eternity, hence his question: what should I do to inherit eternal life? Many want to know that. Many want to know what will happen to them when they die. The rules apply the same to everyone: give up everything that owns you and follow Jesus. Sometimes it is a bridge too far.

In the west, we understand success. In the west, we know that hard work pays dividends and paves a way for fewer worries (at least we think that to be true). But in the west, like everywhere else, it’s hard to put up with the poor because they are poor…and unsuccessful. Who wants that!? They just need to work harder and they’ll be successful like the rest of us. And Jesus says, “No, You help them.” And that is where goes the heart when confronted with the true meaning and purpose of riches: share with those who don’t deserve it.


Father in Heaven, help me to love with my stuff as well as with my heart. May my love for You and for others be evident in sacrificial generosity. Help me to have the right attitudes about wealth and poverty. And above all else, may I eagerly follow You wherever You lead me – in poverty or wealth. Amen.

No comments: