Thursday, January 2, 2014

A Life of Staying

01.02.14

Luke 2.37 37 Then she lived as a widow to the age of eighty-four. She never left the Temple but stayed there day and night, worshiping God with fasting and prayer. (NLT)

I think about Anna and think about her life. She was probably a devout Jew and had been brought up according to the traditions. She very likely married young and I assume life was coming together for her as it did for young Jewish girls in the first century B.C. The Scripture says she was very old which simply means she had outlived the normal life expectancy for people in those days. Her husband died after seven years of marriage. I think this is when things began to change for Anna.

When Anna is mentioned in Luke 2 it is says, she never left the Temple but stayed there day and night, worshiping God with fasting and prayer. I think about that: she never left. I might draw the conclusion that Anna was a church-follower – she only felt the presence of God when she was in the church-building. I might draw the conclusion that she was a wannabe and found a place to hide from the rest of life while avoiding the important stuff. I might.

But it says, Anna was a worshiper. It also says she was a widow and I think the two are connected. I’m gonna bet that Anna was devastated when her husband of seven years died. I’m gonna bet that hopes and dreams and plans fell out of the sky like a plane-wreck. I’m gonna bet that her sadness and grief drove her to the only place she knew to go and dropped her off on the front porch of the Temple – then left.

I’m gonna bet she was looking for comfort and answers and, what was initially knee-jerk, turned into a lifestyle of friendship with (and marriage to) God. I’ve seen it lots of times: God uses the tragic circumstances of life to invite someone into a deeper walk with Him. Anna, I think, was one of those people. And when it says, she never left, I think it means it became her life to pour herself out daily to God and she found that when she did, He filled her with Himself.

Anna wasn’t a wannabe – she was, like the rest of us, a struggler. Life took a turn Anna didn’t expect and she did the only thing she knew to do: run right straight to God for help. Funny though, she didn’t do what a lot of others do, she didn’t get help and then leave and return to her old life. She didn’t remarry. She didn’t have babies. She didn’t settle down and run a household. Anna gave herself to God and He gave Himself to her. Anna stayed with God. In His Temple.

I think the lesson for me today is: stay in His presence. My circumstances are not like those of Anna. But I struggle in life like she did. I don’t think her eighty-four years around the Temple were eighty-four years of fun either; I think she may have fallen prey to those who thought she was a nuisance or crazy (Temple hanger-outers can fall under that stigma you know). But God never thought that of her and when He showed up one day as a wee-little, Anna knew, and she told, “…everyone who had been waiting expectantly for God to rescue Jerusalem.” (V. 38) Maybe all of Anna’s life was just for a time such as that.

Lord, like Anna, use me to share tidings of great joy to those who think the USA is going down the toilet. May my life be like hers: a life of staying – and fasting and prayer… Amen.

No comments: