Saturday, January 11, 2014

Helping God Out

01.11.14

Genesis 27.13 13 But his mother replied, “Then let the curse fall on me, my son! Just do what I tell you. Go out and get the goats for me!” (NLT)

Lest we fool ourselves into believing that our faith ancestors were without fault, all we need do is read the account of how Jacob took the paternal blessing from Esau by pretending to be Esau. The irony – really!

In Genesis 25 Isaac’s wife Rebekah finds that she is pregnant with twins and the babies in her womb jostle violently. She asks God about it and God says, “The sons in your womb will become two nations. From the very beginning, the two nations will be rivals. One nation will be stronger than the other; and your older son will serve your younger son.” (Ge. 25.23) Rebekah clung to that word for very life – it framed her perspective of her boys and she felt especially drawn to the younger son. Just sayin’…

Genesis 27 is the account of how Rebekah made sure the paternal blessing of Isaac fell to Jacob, the younger and not Esau the elder. Rebekah took matters into her own hands and when Jacob called her on it she said: “Then let the curse fall on me, my son! Just do what I tell you. Go out and get the goats for me!”  Rebekah was sure her plan was going to work – she staked her life on it.

There is much to learn from this passage about the dysfunctions of our earliest faith parents. Their faith, like ours, was holey sometimes, faulty at times, and downright deceptive at other times. They helped God out (they thought). We today are no different than they were then – we too are helpers of God. It’s not rocket science – God doesn’t need our help. He didn’t need theirs then and He doesn’t need ours now.

Interestingly, God factors our help into the fulfillment of His plans. He doesn’t condone our help, but likewise, it doesn’t stop Him from doing what He has planned to do. Usually our helping God out leads to more wrangling and deceiving on our part in order to get free from the consequences of the help we’ve provided to God. What a vicious circle.

Today, I am aware of times I’ve helped God. I think of times when I’ve done the most insane knee-jerk things in order to help God help me. How embarrassed I am. I sit here today at this computer wishing things were different but acknowledging despite my best efforts, God is still in control of His plans for me.

God didn’t need Rebekah’s help. Had she not done what she did, the elder still would’ve served the younger. I need to remember that. I’m to cooperate in that light. And I’m to give over all of my plans and schemes for success to the Lord, and let Him be God.


Father, for all of the times then and now when I’ve helped You out, I am sorry. I’m sorry for the people I’ve hurt and for the messes I’ve made. Today, I do need Your help, and only Your help. Find in me a humiliated but cooperative spirit, and help me to deny the schemer inside by nailing him to a cross to die a criminal’s death. I need You Lord! Amen.

No comments: