Sunday, January 26, 2014

Beyond

01.26.14

Exodus 16.15 15 The Israelites were puzzled when they saw it. “What is it?” they asked each other. They had no idea what it was.
Acts 2.12 12 They stood there amazed and perplexed. “What can this mean?” they asked each other.

The Apostle Paul wrote this in his letter to the Ephesians: Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think. Glory to him in the church and in Christ Jesus through all generations forever and ever! Amen. (Vv. 20,21 NLT) Paul wrote this for two reasons. First he wrote to them to tell them of God’s unspeakable power, and then, to tell them of God’s indescribable provision. We all need God’s power and provision. The fact that He is omnipresent is just icing on the cake!

When the people of Israel left Egypt they had no idea of who God really was; Moses had to tell them who He was. (Moses had spent 40 years in ‘seminary’ in a desert herding sheep. He learned how God displays His power and provision to men like a shepherd does for sheep.) The Israelites were God’s people, but after 430 years in Egypt they weren’t sure of His power and provision. They (like us) had to learn that on a daily basis.

Later, when Jesus ascended into heaven the people of God had to find out all over again of God’s power and provision. When they exclaimed, “What can this mean?” they were far from God and unsure of who He was. And Paul wrote: Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think.

Usually, I take this verse to mean God will provide whatever I need, and do it infinitely beyond what I can ask or imagine. But a more careful reading shows that God’s power is at work within me to accomplish infinitely His purposes beyond what I might ask or think. It’s not about paying down my debts or providing money to live on; it’s God fulfilling His purpose in me beyond the expectation I may (or may not) have. Like the people of old, often, I haven’t a clue.

God’s purpose for taking Israel out of Egypt was that they would get to know Him, depend on Him, and ultimately find their Savior from Him (from among them!) God’s purpose for the rushing wind, the flames of fire, and the tongues on Pentecost was to openly communicate that the old was done and the new has come; that Israel’s purpose was to cooperate with the infinite plans of God in providing for, and empowering, His people to accomplish His will.

What does it mean? It means accomplishing His will is above and beyond and better than anything we can ask or imagine because it is done through His mighty power at work in us…


Father, for all of the stupid stuff I have done, and am currently doing, I am sorry and I ask for Your help to fix it. But more than anything I pray for a changed heart and a perspective that is beyond anything I can ask or imagine. Accomplish Your perfect will through me as I learn to cooperate with You – Amen.

No comments: