Friday, January 24, 2014

The Wiggles and Giggles

01.24.14

Luke 24.32 32 They said to each other, “Didn’t our hearts burn within us as he talked with us on the road and explained the Scriptures to us?” (NLT)

Today, I did some catching up on my reading – I missed a couple days so I read it all from the demands of God on Pharaoh to the trial and crucifixion of Jesus and His resurrection. Whew! What a read!

I landed on a verse in Luke 24 where the two disciples from Emmaus reflect on their visit from Jesus and what they said about themselves as they realized what had happened. I think it safe to say they were excited beyond belief and the heartburn they felt was from the realization that everything they’d been taught from the earliest time in their life all came into perfect focus at that moment when Jesus talked with them on the road and explained the Scriptures to them. There is much in the Scriptures that I don’t understand and would love to have Jesus open my mind to really what was said and what was going on; I think I’d get heartburn too.

The heartburn in question is the realization of truth in a way that makes the body react in indescribable excitement – you might also say: wiggles and giggles. One can only hear the truth and then have the mental ability to confirm the truth. When this confirmation happens, the brain releases endorphins into the body that cause a physical reaction. Now then, heartburn is not for everybody, nor is it proof that one is saved – but heartburn (or more likely wiggles and giggles of happiness) can happen to a captive who’s been suddenly set free.

The other day, my Pastor was called to help a woman who was suspected of spiritual oppression. Thinking he had his hands full, he approached the situation by simply telling the woman how to be born again. I don’t know if I’d call it heartburn, but when she realized how close salvation was, and how it was a free gift to her without strings attached, she experienced relief on a level that simply brought about joy and happiness and the witnesses there said her face visibly changed from doubt, fear, and confusion to relief, joy, and happiness that her life had changed because of the realization of the truth of Jesus Christ and the freedom that accompanies that truth.

 She was the captive that had been set free and she was happy about that. She thought it was all up to her and when she realized it wasn’t she was tremendously relieved. Peter, later in his life said, You love him even though you have never seen him. Though you do not see him now, you trust him; and you rejoice with a glorious, inexpressible joy. The reward for trusting him will be the salvation of your souls. (1 Peter 1.8-9) That’s some kind of happy; it’s enough to give someone the wiggles and giggles…


Father, Your truth sets the oppressed, miserable, and frantic captive free; and with that freedom and realization that the chains are finally broken and the burden is marvelously lifted, a human being can feel happiness and joy physically. It’s just the result of really understanding  Your love! Help me to remember the joy I felt when the veil was opened for me, and to remember that there are still those out there who long for the truth that will cause them to (maybe) wiggle and giggle in relief, joy, and exuberance that only a true encounter with You will bring. Help me to live it today I pray, amen.

No comments: