Thursday, January 9, 2014

Just Say NO!

01.09.14

Genesis 24.6,7 6 “No!” Abraham responded. “Be careful never to take my son there. 7 For the Lord, the God of heaven, who took me from my father’s house and my native land, solemnly promised to give this land to my descendants. (NLT)

Abraham gave his trusted servant instructions to go to Aram and find a wife for Isaac from among his relative. Under no circumstances was the servant to take Isaac to Aram; he was only to find a wife for Isaac and return to Canaan with her. Abraham clung to a specific promise from God Who said he would inherit the land of Canaan and his descendants would live there perpetually. The danger of Isaac going to Aram was he might’ve stayed in direct opposition to God’s promise to Abraham. Abraham said that wasn’t going to happen.

God took Abraham out of a culture that didn’t have much to do with God or, at most, numbered Him among a plurality of gods. God said, “Abraham, I’m going to reverse the trend with you. Here is the land and I will protect you and keep you and provide for you descendants. Don’t doubt me on this!”

We today have doubted God. We think our relationship with Him is an odd mixture of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness according to a man-made document. God has called us to come out and be separate. That means ignoring the perks of Americanism and cling steadfastly to the promises of Heaven. Rather than keeping the Isaac of our faith separate, pure, and holy, we have moved into the Aram of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness as if it’s all about us. It’s no wonder society calls us what they do (hypocrites) and ridicules what we say we believe. We want faith at no price and we don’t care where we have to go to get it…

Today, I see Abraham as our example and, as my example. Everyone looks for expedience, the simple way to do things, and what produces guaranteed results. God looks for steadfast obedience. God’s way may be more arduous than taking Isaac to Aram to find his own bride, but God did what God did and Isaac got the perfect mate.

Lord, find in me a willingness to do as You say. Help me to stay put where You’ve placed me, purposed for me, and provided for me. Thank You for the example of Abraham who did what You told him to do and because of it, You called him righteous… Amen.

No comments: