Friday, November 15, 2013

Wrestling with Leviathan

11.15.13

Job 41.8 8 Lay your hands on him; remember the battle—you will not do it again! – God (ESV)

In life there are myriad opportunities to screw up. It’s just true that we learn through trial and error – these two are our best teachers.

In Job 41 the Lord speaks to Job about Leviathan. Although most scholars are not sure exactly what Leviathan is, it’s pretty clear from the narrative that he is big, and mean, and has absolutely no regard for humans. And so God explains to Job, “grab ahold of him big boy and you’ll find out quickly what a real battle is all about – you’ll be smarter next time!”

In other words: Job there are things in this life that are beyond you and the only way you’ll figure it out is if you try to tackle them – you’ll quickly find out just how small and limited you are. And then for emphasis God adds: …like your trying to tackle Me. Trying to tackle God is a fool’s errand. Trying to figure Him out and put Him in our little box is just plain stupid.

But folks (like you and me and everyone else) try to do it all the time. The only way to figure out just how frightening Leviathan is is when his gaping maw closes in on you, and your blood-curdling screams for mercy fall on deaf ears. I don’t think God is that merciless but I do think He allows us to get into situations where the only thing that will save us – THE ONLY THING – is our blood-curdling screams for mercy.

That is the lesson of trial and error. We might think we can handle God until we find ourselves in a place where only His mercy and our screams for it will help. Job was dressed down by God for trying to claim he had an understanding of God. What Job lacked was respect for God. Job had lowered God to his level and then tried (albeit intellectually) to tame the Wild Beast. (Yes, I just called my God and Father the Wild Beast; it’s what I deserve for trying to bring Him down to my level and cram Him into my cardboard box to contain Him. Foolish man!)

As I am wont to say, there are four kinds of people on this earth: those who know and know it; those who don’t know and know it; those who know and don’t know it; and those who don’t know and don’t know it. I find myself in category four often times and it takes my stupidly grabbing ahold of Leviathan’s tail to remind me I don’t know and didn’t know it.

God wants you and me to know that we know. Our hearts are so perverted and twisted and broken that at times the only way to know just how bad we are is to slam into a brick wall at high speed. God doesn’t desire we slam into the wall but He also doesn’t want us to go through life not knowing we don’t know. The Answer to every human problem and issue, and the grand-daddy of them all: our fallenness, is God. Period. And He’s pretty good at providing Leviathans to help us know that we know – after all, He made Leviathan.


Papa, Wild Beast that You are, help Your servant and child to know it and know that I know it. I cannot make it through these days without You and help me – whatever it takes to get it! Thank You for the Leviathan’s in my life but thank You more for mercy and in Your mercy may I find humility, and grace, and salvation from the stupid things I do – Amen.

No comments: