Saturday, November 30, 2013

Mirror Image

11.30.13

Romans 2.2 2 You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things. (ESV)

Recently, a friend of mine asked me to write down why I read the Bible – he said he was going to use it as an illustration in a sermon series he was presenting. (I need to get that done!) So, as I read today, I came across the above and it rang a bell: GONG!!! this is why I read the Bible: so I’ll stop judging people by what I think they are and how they act: like books according to their cover.

I don’t know how many times I need hear Paul’s words to the Romans and to my heart: stop picking on people and assuming I know who they are, and how they are, and why they are, and what they are! Dammit Paul, have you learned nothing in all your years as a “believer”!!!???

I’m tired of believing I have options of whether or not I reflect the life of Christ within me. I’m tired of being judgmental and critical of others who don’t fit my mental perception of acceptability. And judgment doesn’t always mean negative; I can be just as judgmental in a positive way as well – Jesus said we’ll know them by their fruits but there are certain ones I give a pass to because they meet my abysmally fickle standards of what’s right and what’s not.

For at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things…good, bad, or indifferent. Judging others is just a mirror image of myself.

I don’t have options in Christ save to do what is acceptable to Him. If I persist in judging others (which according to Paul means I do so at the peril of condemning myself because I do the same things) I am setting myself up for a rude awakening and an even ruder future: “So when you, a mere human being, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God’s judgment?” (Romans 2.3) Hmmm…

My job is not to judge, assess, or write off any other person for any reason – my job is to love them. Period. There is a universe of distance between love and judgment. That doesn’t mean I have to agree with them, or do as they do, but it does mean that I possibly may be the only person in their life that ever represents the equity of Heaven in my dealings with them. Heaven is equitable to those who love Jesus. Heaven is equitable to those who love rather than judge.

Can I be honest here? I struggle with this. I’ve built a lifetime of thinking the way I do and saying the things I say, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t room for change. I’m reminded again today that change is what the Lord is all about and why He chose us to do His work in telling those we love (whether we like them or not) about Him – He’s their only hope…ours as well.


Father, I pray for the heavy hand of conviction in these days. I pray for the smack of guilt, remorse and holy sorrow for the things that pour out of my yammer. I ask for help and thank You for the Greatest Help of all, Your Spirit in my heart leading me to that place of relentless love and obedience to Your commands – through Jesus, Amen.

No comments: