Tuesday, November 5, 2013

11.05.13

Galatians 2.15-16 15 We ourselves are Jews by birth and not Gentile sinners; 16 yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified. (ESV)

It’s no wonder Paul was so hated by the Jews, he slammed their precious law by saying, “…by works of the law no one will be justified.” That was some statement.

By Jesus’ time the Law had become a weapon to control people under the guise of being something religious. As long as one followed the rules, one kept himself safe from the consequences of breaking the rules. So, in reality life became about consequences and how to avoid them. At one time the apostle Paul believed this nonsense. You have to admit, it looks pretty attractive as well – even the uncool can be (at least thought) cool if they can vaunt their performance under the law. It becomes a jockeying for position and a weapon to fight back with… all dressed up in pretty religious packaging.

What made it worse for the Jews was how they trumped the God-card: We have the Law God gave us! (Our weapon is better than your weapon because ours came from God and He didn’t give you one!) It was a sick society based upon a sick set of rules forcing a sick style of life that focused only on one’s performance and not upon their heart.

And Paul called it for what it was: crap! And boy, did they hate him for it.

I don’t mean to wax so cynical this early in the day but religion is a tough gig. Religion forces us to focus on us all the while reassuring us it’s for a good cause: Just keep your nose clean and you’ll be accepted by what you do, not who you are.

Paul said if we’re looking for justification, we need look no further than Jesus Christ – it’s about relationship. There is no need for rules, weaponry or control; there’s only need for love. And love and relationship must never cease to be verbs because if they become nouns we’re right back in religion. What warped and twisted people we are!

My cause today (if I have to have one) is to love Jesus and hang out with Him. His response to me is simply: Paul, if you believe Me and trust Me your life will be fulfilled beyond your wildest dreams! It’s called justification by faith and my faith is not in my ability to perform, but in my ability to believe – and that isn’t even of myself; it’s from Him who gave me the gift of belief. Such a deal!

Brother, You have called me to believe and I ask You for help today to do just that. I pray that Your life radiate from mine, and that Your presence reassure me it isn’t about my performance but Your love. Help me to build relationships with others based upon my relationship with You. I trust You in that; the weight is off! Amen!

No comments: