Sunday, November 24, 2013

Dependence for All Things

11.24.13

Matthew 17.26-27 26 And when he said, “From others,” Jesus said to him, “Then the sons are free. 27 However, not to give offense to them, go to the sea and cast a hook and take the first fish that comes up, and when you open its mouth you will find a shekel. Take that and give it to them for me and for yourself.” (ESV)

This is a curious story in Matthew’s account of Jesus’ life: the two-drachma tax, or the Temple Tax. Funny, Jesus didn’t have a penny. It seems from Luke’s account there were several women who supported Jesus ministry out of their means (see Luke 8.3). But Jesus didn’t have a dime – or a drachma, or a shekel, or any other means of paying this annual tax assessed against the Jewish population for the care and upkeep of the Temple. But, you know what, Father-God doesn’t have limits and Jesus knew that. I need to know that too.

Peter was concerned because I think Peter wondered about the tax. (I find it also funny that the Tax-man, Matthew, was the only one of the four gospel authors to bring up this story…) So furrowed brow and all, Peter comes to Jesus to ask Him about the tax and before Peter even opens his mouth Jesus asks him, “So, whadaya think Pete, from whom do kings of the earth take taxes; their sons or from others?” And Peter says, “Others.”

But Jesus wouldn’t let Peter’s next question even get to the surface: “Then the sons are free. However, not to give offense to them, go to the sea and cast a hook and take the first fish that comes up, and when you open its mouth you will find a shekel. Take that and give it to them for me and for yourself.” Jesus was teaching Peter about two things: First, pick the fights you can win; and second, don’t go out of your way to offend.

The other thing Jesus was teaching Peter here in this narrative is: Peter, don’t forget to depend on God for all things. That’s what I need to learn.

I have a big mission coming up in June and I need the funds to get there. I need shots; I need a passport; I need money to provide for my daily needs. I need the money to cover two weeks of work from which I will be unpaid and absent while on my mission. Paul, don’t forget to depend on God for all things.

I needed this reminder today that God provides all for His children and I am counting on Him for the complete amount to go on my trip. Jesus is my Example: “Peter, go down to the lake and cast a hook. Take the first fish that comes up and when you go to get the hook out of the critter’s mouth you’ll find enough for both of us. Peter, I don’t have a job, but I do have My Father and He knows what we need – depend on Him like I do.


Father, thank You! Thank You for the money for this mission trip, and for my absence from work, and for all the other things I need each and every day. I trust in You. Amen.

No comments: