Friday, June 14, 2013

Who I’m With

06.14.13

Philippians 4.2 2 I entreat Euodia and I entreat Syntyche to agree in the Lord. (ESV)

Apparently they didn’t agree. Not sure about what, but sure it was something, and it led them to not agree. Maybe it was heated – two hot-heads butting heads over theology they didn’t understand but insisted they had to protect. Maybe it was petty: God loves me more than you because you’re an idiot! Who knows? But there is such a thing as competition in the church and when personality gets mixed in with spirituality sometimes the sparks can fly.

I’m at breakfast this morning and my friend asks, “So, with all this in mind (our conversation at the moment) how’re you going to live today?” I thought about that and I realized part of it is to relax and remember I can’t add to or take away from God's grace – I have all I have, and what more do I need? And then I read about Euodia and Syntyche and thought: remember Who I’m with and Who is with me. That’s how I’m going to try to live out my day today: remembering that truth.

You see, it isn’t whether I remain focused on God or not. I want to and try to but sometimes I simply lose focus and get caught up in human life and all the baggage that comes with it. But God never loses sight of me and never wanders off somewhere. I might have a complete meltdown (humanly speaking) but God won’t, and God won’t take His eyes off of me, and won’t let go of His grip on me. I only need remember, and if only fleetingly, that He is with me and I am with Him no matter what else happens – it’s called grace; and grace never stops regardless if I remember or not.

And Euodia and Syntyche needed “loyal Syzygus’s (Greek: true yokefellow) help in that regard. Someone(s) in my life may need such help from me and it might help if I remember today Who I’m with and Who is with me in order to help them remember Who they’re with, and Who’s with them so they can iron things out amicably. (Sysygus just sounds funny to me… jus’ sayin’.)

Lord, help me to remember today You are there and I’m with You. May that remembrance guide and correct my thoughts, speech, and actions; not that I gain points with You, but that I honor You in all I do this day. I ask for Your help and I thank You I’m with You and You’re with me – amen.

No comments: