Sunday, June 2, 2013

Fools Rush On

06.02.13

Proverbs 22.3 3 The prudent sees danger and hides himself, but the simple go on and suffer for it. (ESV)

I knew it was in here somewhere: Fools rush in where angels fear to tread. Okay, well maybe not; but how about this: the wise recognize and the simple suffer. A friend of mine posted this on Facebook: "You are the constant in all of life's changings." In every season and for every reason we remain the same in the face of danger, or a stranger; and anguish and anger. The difference is whether or not we are a prudent student of what we encounter or a simpleton.

There is much to be said for simplicity: the art of living focused on the things that are important as opposed to what society says is important. A simple life is an uncomplicated life. A simple life is one unhampered by so much strife. It is a different matter entirely when one is a simpleton. There is a willful burying of one’s head in the sand rather than intentionally accepting what is at hand and doing something about it.

The prudent sees danger and hides himself from it – he clearly sees danger as off-limits and does his best to flee to safer ground. Danger will attack whatever it is attracted to and whatever it can see, but the prudent camouflages himself against the attack of danger. The simple however, do not: Fools rush on where angels and the prudent fear to tread.

This spoke to me today because of my past experiences with simpleton-ness. There is a certain willfulness to being simple. Being simple isn’t exclusive to the non-smart: there are many very well educated, intelligent, and well-to-do people who are simple: they lack the capacity to recognize danger and from it, hide themselves . I can think of numerous occasions where I simply, willfully plunged into simple and paid a dear price for my simple-ness. Oh, that I could go back and un-do some of the mistakes I’ve made just by being simple.

The simple go on – they couldn’t care less about consequences; and they probably don’t even stop to consider them. The simple go on because they reason that by somehow doing the same thing over and over they’ll somehow achieve different results. The simple go on because they don’t want to go any other way.

I want to learn from this and from the non-biblical, but appropriate saying: fools (the simple) rush in where angels (and the prudent) fear to tread. I want to be taught to stop being simple and having to learn that simple ought to hurt. I want to quit fooling myself that danger isn't real; and ignoring it won’t make it go away.

Father, at this point there isn’t much I can do about my simple past, but there is something I can learn for the near and distant future: The prudent sees danger and hides himself, but the simple go on and suffer for it. Help me to see. Help me to realize my simple-ness and simple tendencies and to learn. I can’t erase the past but I can learn from it – and with Your help I can hide from real danger…even the kind I come up with all on my own…

No comments: