Wednesday, June 26, 2013

What We All Need

06.26.13

Jonah 4.1-4 1 But it displeased Jonah exceedingly, and he was angry. 2 And he prayed to the Lord and said, “O Lord, is not this what I said when I was yet in my country? That is why I made haste to flee to Tarshish; for I knew that you are a gracious God and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love, and relenting from disaster. 3 Therefore now, O Lord, please take my life from me, for it is better for me to die than to live.” 4 And the Lord said, “Do you do well to be angry?”

The prophecy of Jonah is meant to be read in one sitting. The issue of Jonah is God’s love for and salvation extended to the city of Nineveh. The result of Jonah is a man with a calloused heart who gripes to God for even including him in the first place. The lesson of Jonah is when God calls: go quickly and with a happy heart.

Apparently Jonah, the prophet, had had former conversations with the Lord about a missions trip to Nineveh. Nineveh, by the way, was a great city of the Assyrian Empire and the Jews had much trouble from the Assyrians and the enmity between Jew and Assyrian was palpable.

Jonah had probably witnessed raids by the Assyrians into his homeland and had seen the brutality of these raids. The Assyrians, I believe, were the ones who came up with crucifixion. Jonah apparently had no use for these people. And apparently Jonah had told the Lord as much (see verse 2 above).

Jonah’s problem was God reaching out to other peoples who weren’t Jews and who weren’t very nice to the Jews. Jonah may have been insulted that God would even do such a thing. Jonah’s attitude was basically: “God, do what You have to do but leave me out of this!”

I find myself having those same kinds of thoughts as I watch certain people live like hell and then expect the church to be their meal-ticket; patch them up, and send them back into the fray with no intention of changing their loser-lifestyle at all. I see the selfishness of the prophet in my own life and experience: God do what You’re going to do, just don’t expect a whole lot of cooperation from me… I’ve got family, I’ve got the weekend, I’ve got a bike to ride

Jonah suffered from a cynicism that wouldn’t allow him to see how vast and wonderful the love of God is for others who were different from him. Jonah’s cynicism kept him from telling others about God. And when he finally broke down and obeyed it wasn’t gladly, it was grudgingly.

It is easy to write others off when we see them persist in destructive life choices. It’s hard to love them when they’ve (apparently intentionally) used our goodness and love as a club against us. It’s easy to turn our backs on the unrepentant and just let them go on their merry destructive way.

It is godly to keep reaching out to them with the tireless loving passion of God as He kept reaching out to us. How else are they ever going to change and how else are we going to demonstrate the unfailing love of God if we so easily or eventually quit? I think that is why God is so big on forgiveness. I think that’s why to persist in pursuit of the unlovely and the undeserving is so important because it shows God’s grace at work in my heart… And grace is what we all need…

No comments: