Wednesday, June 19, 2013

A Crisis of Belief

06.19.13

2 Kings 1.10 10 But Elijah answered the captain of fifty, “If I am a man of God, let fire come down from heaven and consume you and your fifty.” Then fire came down from heaven and consumed him and his fifty. (ESV)

There is in Christian circles what is referred to as a crisis of belief. According to 2 Kings 1, an ailing king sent three companies of soldiers to arrest the prophet Elijah and two of the companies were consumed by fire at the prophet’s command: “If I am a man of God, let fire come down from heaven and consume you and your fifty.” Then fire came down from heaven and consumed him and his fifty.

It’s one thing to believe because someone else tells you to, or to reach a place where you believe on your own. Two companies of unbelievers were consumed by fire and the third company was led by a much wiser man – a man who believed: “O man of God, please let my life, and the life of these fifty servants of yours, be precious in your sight. Behold, fire came down from heaven and consumed the two former captains of fifty men with their fifties, but now let my life be precious in your sight.” (2 Kings 1.13b-14 ESV) Elijah could have called fire down until the entire army was consumed.

Do we believe because someone else tells us to or do we reach a point of crisis of faith. And a crisis of faith is a crisis, not some petty matter. What does it take to get us to believe? What does it take to pierce our hard heart?

For some it may be sickness. For others it may be heartbreak. For someone else it may be the loss of a loved one. Whatever the case, there is a crisis of faith: do I believe…or don’t I?

For sure some believe – the circumstances cause them to seek God. For others they are hardened all the more and refuse to accept God on any terms. The question for us is: do we believe? Would we come to God and ask: O God, let my life be precious in your sight! The humble ask such a question; the arrogant continue on their way.

Lord, may I be humble and accept Your rule in every aspect of my life. May I remember that I am Your son, but also Your servant and I am to believe. I can believe because of what others say or I can believe because I know for myself. Help me to believe for myself and to walk submissively at Your side. Thank You for Your grace and the crises of belief that have done their work in my life – amen.

No comments: