Monday, June 17, 2013

Have You Noticed

06.17.13

1 Kings 21.29 29 “Have you noticed how Ahab has humbled himself before me? Because he has humbled himself, I will not bring this disaster in his day, but I will bring it on his house in the days of his son.” (ESV)

When God asks questions He already has the answer. Ahab, as vile as he was (Cf. 1 Kings 21.25) repented; he sought the Lord’s forgiveness after the scathing rebuke level at him by Elijah. Ahab did an evil thing by killing Naboth and then seizing his vineyard, but he understood (and accepted) the rebuke of the Lord for doing so.

“Have you noticed how Ahab has humbled himself before Me?” Great question. Do others notice when we get our act together? Do others notice when we set the example in serving the Lord; in giving Him praise and thanksgiving? God sure notices.

It’s not that we obey to score points but as Paul said in Colossians, “And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” God notices and others do as well. A life lived in Christ is a life lived for Christ. It’s a willful decision to live as a citizen of Heaven rather than a squatter on earth. And it gets noticed.

Over the weekend a friend of ours had to rush her son to the hospital after he sustained a serious head injury as the result of a swimming accident. She reported this morning on Facebook: Shift change, I hear his nurse in the hall briefing the oncoming team, and he is including the testimonies of other incidents with my three boys where they have been miraculously healed and protected, and telling them how we were missionaries and about all of you praying. The staff in intensive care at St Luke’s notices.

God notices and God pays attention like a proud loving Father who sees His children doing what they are supposed to do because they belong to His family. For all of his bad, ol’ Ahab did one thing good: he humbled himself before the Lord. It made a difference down the road.

Today I am to walk with God and live in Christ that I may live for Christ. I may have to make some decisions but I will have to live in Christ (because I am) so that I may live for Him. I’m not trying to garner attention but just simply trying to do what is right before my God and in the eyes of my fellow man. Everybody notices and God gets the glory.

Father, this day, may Your presence in me, and my living in You, make the difference. May I live and do what is right and good before You that others may be blessed – amen.

No comments: