Monday, May 6, 2013

Weaknights



05-06-13

2 Samuel 11.2-3 2 It happened, late one afternoon, when David arose from his couch and was walking on the roof of the king's house, that he saw from the roof a woman bathing; and the woman was very beautiful. 3 And David sent and inquired about the woman. And one said, “Is not this Bathsheba, the daughter of Eliam, the wife of Uriah the Hittite?” (ESV)

This is the story of boredom - a skilled and gifted man was bored and did a stupid thing. Can you relate? I could tell you that my life is perfect and I have found the answer to boredom - that I just stay busy all the time and keep boredom at bay through activity. I could tell you that I am focused and faithful and have it all figured out.  I could tell you I am through with stupid things.. I could tell you, but I'd be lying if I did.

David's issue wasn't as much a pattern as it was a momentary lapse. For some reason the great king had lost his focus, and it cost him dearly. What could I tell you: don't get bored? Maybe, but I think more appropriate would be: be careful, weakness can attack anyone at any time and we can aid and abet its approach.

Maybe the power went to David's head; it all seemed so random. But one thing is for sure' David quit looking where he was supposed to be looking and the rest is sadness and further tragedy; besides the murder of a trusted soldier and the death of an innocent.

The lesson for me is to be careful and beware the sinister approach of boredom. I can't say I've won the battle' but I can say this story always reminds me of the insidiousness of idleness - and idleness while alone.

Father in Heaven, what can a man do but act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with You? Help me to remember and to help others remember as well - they don't call them weaknights for nothing...

No comments: