Thursday, May 23, 2013

Counted to Me

05.23.13

Romans 4.23-25 23 But the words “it was counted to him” were not written for his sake alone, 24 but for ours also. It will be counted to us who believe in him who raised from the dead Jesus our Lord, 25 who was delivered up for our trespasses and raised for our justification. (ESV)

It’s hard for me to figure out just how I came about the gift of faith. I suppose the years I sat in church completely disinterested rubbed off on me despite myself. I sure lived like hell. But one day I recognized (somehow) I needed Jesus Christ. I don’t think I got the gift that day, I think I got it sometime before. I think the day I realized my need for Jesus, I realized I had the gift of faith and decided to use it.

Faith is a mystery. Abraham had it, but there is no telling how he got it. He may have had encounters with God that aren’t recorded in Scripture. He may have studied the stars and come to the conclusion, “There has to be Someone beyond all this!”. Hard to tell. But how he came to faith isn’t as important as the fact that Abraham came to faith and that very thing was counted to him as righteousness. No law to keep, no rules to mind – just belief in God.

In a few days we’re going to read: "How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!” But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed what he has heard from us?” So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ." The fact that Abraham knew of God is a miracle in and of itself to me; and because he knew and believed, Abraham was made righteous in his belief. The same applies to me.

And because he believed the door was opened for others to believe and from his belief the Scriptures were written and the Gospel was shared. Faith came after Abraham by what he shared with his descendants and what they then shared with theirs; and with those around them.

With God, we must believe – there is no other way in spite of what is said about belief all around us every day. In order to be righteous, one must believe God and believe in God.

Abraham’s righteousness has been passed down through the ages to me. Not just to me, but to all who will believe that there is a God and we need Him. Knowing there is a God is the first step – realizing I need Him is the next, and the gift of faith is what God gives to those who need to know their need, and the Solution to their need. It’s as simple as that…

Father, thank You for the gift of grace, that unmerited favor of Yours that gives me the gift of faith. I don’t ask for more grace, I already have it all – but I do ask for more faith and for the expression of that faith to take more risks for You and Your love. Faith came after Abraham by hearing and may I speak of that faith more boldly, empowered by You – amen.

No comments: