Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The Presence of God Within

05.01.13

Psalm 132.3-5 3 “I will not enter my house or get into my bed, 4 I will not give sleep to my eyes or slumber to my eyelids, 5 until I find a place for the Lord, a dwelling place for the Mighty One of Jacob.” (ESV)

I do know what this is about so I don’t want to be accused of taking it out of context; but sometimes you’ll read a passage one way all of your life, and then you read it and it seems to be saying something completely different – y’ever experience that?

I look at King David differently now than I did a few years back when I first became acquainted with him. I understand he was God’s man, anointed to be king over Israel. I know he was a fierce and skilled warrior. I know he was an able administrator of people and projects. I know he consulted God when no one else seemed to think it was all that necessary. But I recognize today that like the rest of us, David had a hole in his heart he was trying desperately to fill. Listen to this:

And Hiram king of Tyre sent messengers to David, and cedar trees, also masons and carpenters to build a house for him. And David knew that the Lord had established him as king over Israel, and that his kingdom was highly exalted for the sake of his people Israel. And David took more wives in Jerusalem, and David fathered more sons and daughters. (1 Chronicles 14.1-3 ESV) A palace? Wives? Children? What more could a guy want?

And then it was recorded: David built houses for himself in the city of David. And he prepared a place for the ark of God and pitched a tent for it. (1 Chronicles 15.1 ESV) David built houses for himself and pitched a tent for God. He wanted God close. But he was restless in his passion for the closeness of God.

What if you and I were to say: “I will not enter my house or get into my bed, 4 I will not give sleep to my eyes or slumber to my eyelids, 5 until I find a place for the Lord, a dwelling place for the Mighty One of Jacob.”? Where would we put Him? A modern religious group has a number of temples spread across our land – is God in each one of those or does He travel to various ones when the mood strikes?

David wanted God close to him so he pitched a tent but even then, that wouldn’t do. David longed for the presence of God – something that an Ark or a Tabernacle could never supply. And what David wanted, he never got. But the Apostle Paul said this: Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you? If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him. For God's temple is holy, and you are that temple. (1 Cor. 3.16-17 emphasis added) The one thing David wanted he never got – but what he wanted is for every believer today: the presence of God within.

It is high time I celebrated the presence of God within me and my church family across the globe like David did: singing, dancing, and making an utter fool of myself. What David never got, I have. But he sure longed for it and I often take it for granted. The only place God has ever desired to be is on the throne of our hearts and that is worth expending every bit of life-energy to achieve.

Lord Jesus, take the throne of my heart and rule and reign from there. Let me surrender and live in Your peace – obeying Your will without a care. Amen.

No comments: