Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Not Knowing Who We’re Looking For

05.29.13

Romans 10:20 20 Then Isaiah is so bold as to say, “I have been found by those who did not seek me; I have shown myself to those who did not ask for me.” ESV

I didn’t ask to be born; it just happened. I’m sure someone thought about it; I’m sure the ‘die’ were cast; but I had no say in the matter (and up until conception I had no matter.) I didn’t get to consult with management as to what my name would be; I didn’t get any input as to my looks, my stature, the color of my hair or the color of my eyes: it is what it is and it is what I’ve been given.

Well, given by who!? Isaiah was so bold as to say, “I have been found by those who did not seek me; I have shown myself to those who did not ask for me.” It was all given to me by “I”; the Great I AM; by God.

The other side of the coin is this: I found Him but I wasn’t looking for Him. I felt like my life was miserable and if there was a God, He was fuming at me from some far off place. But I wasn’t looking for Him; He searched me out. A bit of a misstatement I know: He’s always known right where I was… I just didn’t know where He was.

The human race for the most part, couldn’t care less about God. Ironically there is a lot of ‘caring’ about ‘gods’; but there isn’t a whole lot of caring about God. The man is distracted; the woman is deceived; and who knows what, between the two of them, is believed. Man isn’t looking for God: He isn’t a part of the equation.

But God is looking for us. God is relentless in His pursuit and strangely, if God Almighty can’t get the job done, He looks for those who’ll go out and tell others about Him. The math is weird but it works. And strangely as well there are those among us who stumble upon the question: Is this all there is, or is there Something or Someone out there?

Paul said, “Faith comes by hearing and hearing through the word of Christ.” (Romans 10.17 ESV); he just didn’t say how that word would come. It may be in deepest pain; it may be in a glorious sunrise or sunset; it may through the words of others; it may be through the joy of acceptance; or a random act of kindness and love – whatever it is and however it sounds, it communicates the love of God expressed in His Son, Jesus Christ. Christ who ever points our way to God regardless of how our roads lead us to Him. We find God, and we didn’t even know we were looking; or who we were looking for.

Faith is a mystery. Finding faith is more mysterious still. Finding a God one didn’t know exists and coming to love Him is most mysterious of all given our condition. But it’s true and it happens, and God said: “I have been found by those who did not seek Me; I have shown Myself to those who did not ask for Me.” Wow!

Father, thanks!

No comments: