Thursday, May 2, 2013

Serenity Courage and Wisdom with Money

05.02.13

Matthew 19.21 21 Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” (ESV)

The man in this account – a young man he is described – had his god: it was his money. Now, he didn’t admit that, and Jesus didn’t accuse him of that, but the implication derived from what Jesus told him and his subsequent response indicated he was pretty happy with what he had and didn’t want to give any of it up. He had a lot of wealth.

Wealth causes people to do things, that without it, they might not do. Riches have an effect on folks. Most of the folk I know worry about their lack of wealth. Some of the rich I know worry about how to hold on to it. Jesus tells us, don’t worry at all: trust God instead.

We really can’t control our inflow and out-go of money, but God can, and does. Lord, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot control; courage to use wisely the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference. Jesus wasn’t asking the rich man to quit being rich, He was inviting him to have the right perspective toward wealth. The man, in his thinking, had it all but he wanted God to bless him as well. Jesus said the price of admission was to understand what money is and what true riches are.

The trade-off (or transaction if you will) was giving up riches as a god and accepting God as God. Jesus said, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” It wasn’t giving up money; it was giving up the wrong attitude toward money: money isn’t the answer for everything. Our problem is how we think about money: if I only had some money, I’d…

God, what do You want me to do? God, where do You fit into this picture? God what is my attitude toward money and wealth? What am I clinging to that shows where my heart and values really are? The only answer Jesus could give to the young man’s query was: get rid of what is holding you back and give yourself fully to God. It was more than he wanted to pay.

My attitude toward money needs to boil down to something like this:

Two things I ask of you; deny them not to me before I die: Remove far from me falsehood and lying; give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with the food that is needful for me,
lest I be full and deny you and say, “Who is the Lord?” or lest I be poor and steal and profane the name of my God. (Proverbs 30.7-9 ESV)

Lord, I know I can’t handle it when I am flush, and I know I whine about it when I am broke. I don’t need more or less money; I need YOU, and a right attitude toward money. Help me to trust You, to be content with what I have, and to be wise when it comes to using what You have given me to further the work of Your Kingdom. Grant me the serenity, courage and wisdom I need , amen.

No comments: