Saturday, May 4, 2013

For Your Glory

05.04.13

1 Chronicles 18.14 14 So David reigned over all Israel, and he administered justice and equity to all his people. (ESV)

Not everybody liked David – very few leaders ever garner the respect and devotion of the entire crowd. There were those we will find later on who pined for David’s demise and collapse of his rule. David powerfully subdued his enemies but they certainly didn’t fall on their backs in the face of opposition and again, later on we’ll find they too rose up against the sovereignty of Israel.

David is almost a fairy-tale character: raised in obscurity from the sheep pastures of his father, and then anointed future king while the then current king was still in power – awkward! David had remarkable skills and a perspective that helped him immensely: he loved and obeyed and sought the Lord his God. And as the writer of Chronicles records, David reigned over all Israel, and he administered justice and equity to all his people.

It is one thing to be a judicious ruler – it is another to be an equitable King. It is the best of both worlds to be both. David was both. Not only did David love, obey and seek his God, he also ruled in His power and presence. David seemed to get God and ruled as he thought God ruled: with justice and equity according to Divine Standards, and with heart and mercy. Who knew there was such a God as this hanging around? David did.

At my Thursday meeting this past week, we discussed the fruit of the Holy Spirit (Cf. Galatians 5.22-23). The fruit of the Holy Spirit is the result of the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit. The fruit isn’t different kinds of fruit but fruit that produces different kinds of things – like: love joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. We’ll notice justice isn’t on the list – nor is equity. Nor is wisdom or righteousness. But a person who rules in submission to the Holy Spirit will be known for these things because from his life comes these kinds of fruits. David was that kind of leader. David ruled in submission to God. He wielded power but his life produced fruit.

Paul said in 2 Corinthians 10: So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. (V. 31) I think this sums up David’s attitude toward kingship: all for God’s glory.

These days as I grow older it’s more about fruit than it is power. I want to do what I do to help people and maybe in some way enrich their lives. That only comes by hanging around with God and walking in submission to His Spirit’s presence in my life. The difference is His presence. That’s what made David who he was…

Father, fill me with Your Spirit that I may live today, and whatever I find myself doing, I do for Your glory. Your presence changes me and may I simply walk humbly with You this day – forever changed that You have chosen me to live where I do, with the people I do, and among people You care for. It really isn’t about justice and equity – it’s about You. Fill me to represent You well this day – Amen.

No comments: