Saturday, April 27, 2013

Two Word Answers

04.27.13

2 Samuel 2.1 1 After this David inquired of the Lord, “Shall I go up into any of the cities of Judah?” And the Lord said to him, “Go up.” David said, “To which shall I go up?” And he said, “To Hebron.” (ESV)

Again with the dice – or the straws, or whatever they were using. David inquired of the Lord and God responded. We ask the questions, God gives the answers. Our questions may be detailed, but God doesn't need to give long answers or big explanations. Our question frame the details, God’s response gives the answers. Two word answers… Or a single word – as in the case of St. Peter who said, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.” (Matthew 174.28) Jesus responded, “Come!” Peter, I accept your challenge, get out of the boat and believe!

The conciseness of God’s answers leave room for our thought process and creativity. David needed to know if he should move to Judah and the Lord said, “Go up.” David got more specific, and asked, “Which one?” And God answered: “To Hebron.” That gave David, with the skills and abilities he had, enough to go on to go to Judah and settle in Hebron. David went in the skills and gifting he had.

Are we asking God questions? For example, my question would be: Lord, do You want me to go to Africa with my son next year?  A one or two syllable answer would suffice. Then I know the Lord has covered all the bases and the provision will be there.

Are we satisfied with the Lord’s answer? When God says no, do we keep rolling the dice until we get a ‘yes’? One or two word answers are one or two word answers. The rest is faith built upon His promises, presence, and the things He’s enabled us to do. And what He’s enabled us to do we’re to do with excellence, skill, and a happy and grateful heart as unto Him.

I think we like to dream about the things we’d like to accomplish. I think many of the dreams we have are dreams the Lord gives. Where the waters get muddied is when we begin to doubt the dream or get distracted by other dreams. David moved to Hebron – he didn't start toward Hebron and wind up in Jericho. David followed his dream and sought the Lord in the process.

I believe many of the details the Lord leaves up to us. He gives us the ability to choose a head of lettuce. But I think the Lord would rather us to eat lettuce than to consume unhealthy amounts of things we know are not good for us: Take care of yourself child, use moderation, and whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for My glory.

Our questions form the details, the Lord gives the answers. Life isn't (or doesn't have to be) more complicated than we make it out to be. I think the quick answer is simply and honestly: inquire of the Lord, then simply and honestly accept His response. Where we get into trouble is when His response doesn't meet our approval. We know we’re in trouble then. Demanding our way may get us just that, and then it hits the fan.

Father, I am a simple man with a simple life. Lead me in simple ways that I may reliably offer all of what I do to glorify and magnify You… amen.

No comments: