Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Singing Like There is a Tomorrow

04.17.13

Psalm 59.16 16 But I will sing of your strength; I will sing aloud of your steadfast love in the morning. For you have been to me a fortress and a refuge in the day of my distress. (ESV)

We who follow the Lord are called to confidently sing of God’s strength in the morning: after (or during) the night of distress. Stuff happens. Trials come. People at work are idiots. The kid blows his hand off. A bomb detonates in a crowded public place. Criticism comes. Gossip flows. All of this stuff can hang like a rock around the neck in the evening – at the end of the day when we’re tired and just want to shut it all out.

David was the target of a jealous (insanely so) monarch. When a king go whacko, watch out! Every time David succeeded at something, Saul the king wanted to kill him – so affected was he by David’s success.

So, Saul decided he had to enlist the help of his servants to kill David which he did; there’s usually some sick sycophant willing to do dirty deeds done cheap. And David initially ran to his house to hide but quickly realized: home may be where the heart is, but the street right outside is where the killers are. So he escaped. And he sang.

It takes a strong person to sing in the midst of trouble – the kind of trouble where life is at stake. Some sing when they’re mourning. Some sing when they are rejected by a lover. But to sing when there is no one else to turn to but God; well that’s singing on another level. And David didn't just sing, he sang confidently of the Lord’s deliverance in the morning. You have to be pretty confident to sing of the Lord’s morning deliverance when the killers are right outside the door tonight. So confident was David in the Lord, he sang.

Part of my everyday life is to still the voice of doubt: will God really come through for me? The very fact I even acknowledge God in the first place says something. But I’m to learn to acknowledge God in all things: in all [my] ways acknowledge Him and He will direct [my] paths. Confidence in the Lord when the battle is just beginning is seeing the battle already won. That’s why David could sing: I will sing aloud of your steadfast love in the morning – even when they were right outside to kill him. David knew morning would come and he’d be there to enjoy it.

I’m encouraged today to start singing. There aren't any major fires at the moment, but one never knows what the day will bring, and to sing when it is quiet is to prepare for when it’s chaos. And I am to sing confidently of the Lord and for all the times He’s come through for me; and those around me who've called on His Name. I’m to sing as if there is a tomorrow even though today is all I have.

“I will lift my voice to worship You my King. And I will find my strength in the shadow of Your wings. Your love, oh Lord reaches to the heavens. Your faithfulness stretches to the sky. Your righteousness is like the mighty mountains; Your justice flows like the ocean's tide*…” (*Third Day)

No comments: