Saturday, April 20, 2013

I Wonder if I Should (or The Divine Gamble)

04.20.13

1 Samuel 23.2 2 Therefore David inquired of the Lord, “Shall I go and attack these Philistines?” And the Lord said to David, “Go and attack the Philistines and save Keilah.” (ESV)

It is not curious to me that David asked permission to attack the Philistines and save the town of Keilah (see 1 Samuel 23 for the whole story) – about that I’m not curious. History shows us that asking the Lord’s permission is a good thing. We, in these days of grace, ought to get that – Lord, may I … ?

What I am curious about is how David got his answer. And it’s not that it bugs me, it’s just that there is something here I don’t quite follow. Consider: Proverbs 16.33 says: The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the Lord. My question is: why don’t we cast lots?

It was common practice in the culture of those days to throw the lot (not sure how they went about this) and I assume it was something like rolling the dice or Keno, or something along those lines. If the lot went one way they had their one answer; if it went the other way they had their other answer.

If our modern belief is that the Lord is firmly and fully in control, why don’t we cast lot(s) more? It would seem to simplify things enormously. Should I marry so and so? Ask the Lord, and cast the lot. Should I make this career move? Ask the Lord, and cast the lot: the lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the Lord… It strikes me as a kind of divine gambling of sorts: using some method to determine what God really wants us to do – but in the process, asking permission.

How do you determine what God wants for you to do? Do you ask? Does He answer? Have you ever cast lots to figure it all out? It is okay to buy a lottery ticket? Do the dice give you permission or denial? Are they worth listening too?

Determining God’s will is certainly a process and in my estimation it requires consulting God and (perhaps) asking His permission. Ecclesiastes says, Cast your bread upon the waters, for you will find it after many days. (11.1 NKJV) It’s a risk; it’s a gamble, but it is risking it all for God and gambling He’ll come through because of His promise and His faithfulness. There is something required of us but for sure, we cannot exclude His presence or permission.

Father, I want to know You more. I want to know what You have for me, and in this latter part of my life, how I am to finish the race You've set before me. You know I have never cast the lot before You and today, I wonder if I should. For sure, I want to ask You and seek Your face and trust that lot or no, there is an answer for Your servant and a path I am to follow. I pray for guidance and believe every decision is from the throne of Your grace – Amen.

No comments: