Thursday, April 18, 2013

God-Afflictions

04.18.13

Psalm 34.19 19 Many are the afflictions of the righteous,
but the Lord delivers him out of them all. (ESV)

Yesterday, someone dear to me went through a difficult time which was exacerbated by words spoken in frustration that should’ve maybe been left unsaid. Y’ever do that? I sure have.

Sometimes our afflictions are self-generated. Sometimes they are because someone else has decided to rough us up a bit. Sometimes they’re the result of sickness (another friend of mine is recovering from triple-bypass surgery.) And sometimes (hear me carefully) they come at the hand of God. The difference between God-affliction and all else is God uses affliction to teach us and reach us; it is okay to use proper corporal discipline to lovingly keep a child from doing harm to himself. Really.

The difference with God-afflictions is they are always, always, always redemptive: Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all. (ESV) If God afflicts me then I know the outcome will be deliverance. Always. This is pure grace. Always good.

Well, how then do I know that it is God who is afflicting me? Probably a little self-examination is necessary: am I doing something I need to stop doing? Am I harboring thoughts I need to get rid of? Am I listening to the voices of enablement? Where am I in my opinion of myself: victim or victor? Am I thinking more highly of myself than I ought (Romans 12.3)? Self-inspection is vital in discerning the seasons of our lives. Will others around me honestly lend credence to my conclusions?

Affliction isn't a bad thing necessarily. It helps immensely if it arrests our attention and helps us to focus on God rather than the affliction. God isn't a Meanie, but He is all-wise and knows exactly what it takes in our lives to help us get some of His wisdom, comfort, and love.

Not so the wicked: Affliction will slay the wicked, and those who hate the righteous will be condemned. (Psalm 34.21) The one who rejects God’s hand is in for a rough ride. But here is the answer to such mentality: The Lord redeems the life of his servants; none of those who take refuge in him will be condemned. (V. 22) It is far better to go through the worst with God, than without Him.

My conclusion: I will bless the Lord at all times; his praise shall continually be in my mouth.  My soul makes its boast in the Lord; let the humble hear and be glad. Oh, magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt his name together! Psalm 34.1-3 Am I teachable? Am I reachable? Will I turn to others and exhort them to join me in the Lord’s presence celebrating His goodness?

Father, may I trust You at all times and may the words of my mouth – even in affliction – be those of praise and invitation that others may taste and see that You are good – all the time!

No comments: