Monday, April 15, 2013

I Can Do That

04.15.13

1 Samuel 17.25 25 And the men of Israel said, “Have you seen this man who has come up? Surely he has come up to defy Israel. And the king will enrich the man who kills him with great riches and will give him his daughter and make his father's house free in Israel.” (ESV)

A pastor friend of mine said this recently: If you don't know who you are, you become like everybody else. I thought hmmm, and then this morning I read about David in 1 Samuel 17 where he takes on the Philistine champion, a big dude named Goliath.

David was the kind of man who understood who he was and he understood who God was. A man without God is just a man at the mercy of physics and nature. But a man with God, who knows God is a man equipped with all the resources of Heaven. (Just a point in case you were wondering: all the Resources of Heaven are God.) David knew who he was and who God was. And the Philistine champion had one fatal flaw: he was a man without God.

David was intrigued by the prize offered to the one who defeated Goliath: “…the king will enrich the man who kills him with great riches and will give him his daughter and make his father's house free in Israel.” David thought to himself: I can do that! David’s resume’ included killing both a lion and a bear for stealing his dad’s sheep. David seemed to be the kind of man who looked at the prize and decided it was worth winning.

What is worth fighting for in your life? What is worth winning? Goliath’s are a dime-a-dozen. They’re big, they’re intimidating, but they aren't God. And the person who knows God knows they can be defeated. God defeats them.

The prize in my life is consistently following God whole-heartedly – in doing that there is great reward – eternal reward. It isn't riches, it isn't a trophy-wife and becoming an in-law of the king; it’s sonship with God and an inheritance in Heaven. (Just a point in case you were wondering: the inheritance in Heaven is God.)

David said no to convention and took on somebody who scared the crap out of everybody else. And I think David did it because he knew who he was – and he wasn't like everybody else. The true measure of a man is his relationship with God – all else is just periphery. One might be talented, creative, clever, strong, handsome, polished – any one or number of the things this world values. But a man can have all that and still miss the Prize: sonship to the Lord of Glory and inheritance in Heaven.

Today, I look at my life and tell myself, son, remember who you are and for what it is you’re fighting: the Prize worth winning. I don’t think I was ever intended to be a headliner; I’m to walk after God and live according to His grace, bringing honor and glory to His name by staying close to Him. Not performance – if it was that, I've already failed – but sonship, I am called a son of God and that’s who I am. And winning the prize? With His help, I can do that…

No comments: