Friday, June 17, 2016

Will and Grace

6/17/2016

1 Kings 21.27-29 27 When Ahab heard these words, he tore his clothes, put on sackcloth and fasted. He lay in sackcloth and went around meekly. 28 Then the word of the Lord came to Elijah the Tishbite: 29 “Have you noticed how Ahab has humbled himself before me? Because he has humbled himself, I will not bring this disaster in his day, but I will bring it on his house in the days of his son.

I have wrestled of late with a concept regarding the conflict of arrogance and humility, or what I would call, the assertion of self-will against the humility that should be ours in Christ. I’m truly beginning to understand that self-will isn’t merely pride, but more insidious and harmful: it’s arrogance.

I tend to view pride as self-love, but arrogance is far more malicious and intentional. Pride seems to be just my stupid point of view whereas arrogance has an agenda. Not trying to split hairs, but just beginning to see why I do some of the dumb things I do…

To be sure, Ahab of Israel, was deceived by his wife, Jezebel. She’s the one in 1 Kings 21 who conspired to kill Naboth and give king Ahab opportunity to seize Naboth’s property. But it all started with Ahab desiring something that wasn’t his, and though he attempted to negotiate a deal with Naboth, he wasn’t successful, so he pouted. There are few things more pathetic and dangerous than a pouting leader; arrogance drives a leader to pout, plot, and punish.

I’m finding that when I place my will above God’s I am arrogantly asserting my will and desires ahead of His will and grace. St. Peter said, quoting Proverbs 3.34: “God opposes the proud but shows favor [grace] to the humble.” It’s more than self-love, it’s the willful maliciousness of agenda-driven arrogance. God hates agendas that are opposed to His – He opposes them. So, when I assert my agenda over God’s, it’s no wonder I lose the safety of humility, the comfort of His grace, and the peace of His presence. Arrogance is a bad, bad thing.

So, what’s the solution? There has to be a solution, or wretched men that we are, there’s no hope! Ah, the solution is what God asks of us all along: trust in Him with all of the heart, lean not on our own understanding, in all our ways acknowledge Him and He will direct our path. Humble ourselves under His mighty hand and He will lift us up. No room for arrogance – only room for His will and grace.

Father, thank You for showing me, it’s not just laziness, or distraction; it is far more serious than that – it is the deadly invasiveness of arrogance. It’s more that foolish pride; it’s an attempt on my part to usurp Your will with mine; it kills the protective barrier of grace when I do arrogant things. Soften me, help me, and keep me safe within the beautiful bounds of Your will and grace. Amen

No comments: