Sunday, June 19, 2016

The Capacity

6/19/2016

1 Timothy 1.12-13 12 I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me trustworthy, appointing me to his service. 13 Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. St. Paul

St. Paul had a memory; he remembered all the things he had done to insult the Lord and persecute His people. But when he’d been knocked off his high horse, Paul said the above: the statement of a humble and broken man on a mission to share the glorious goodness of Jesus Christ with anyone who would listen. Paul wasn’t a weakling by any means; he was a man on a mission.

What guided Paul was his unshakable faith in the Lord Jesus. He said, “The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.” Paul understood grace, faith, and love. Paul understood where those things came from. And Paul lived according to them.

I remember as well. I remember well, as well. I know who I was and what I thought. I can say that even though I once was a blasphemer, and a punk, and a sleazeball, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. That’s really what it boils down to: ignorance and unbelief.

Ignorance is the lack of knowledge and understanding. My grandson is ignorant of the things of life he will one day face. He doesn’t understand how life works yet. He’ll get there, but he ain’t there yet. It isn’t that he’s wrong, it’s just that he’s ignorant (and young and naïve). Most people are ignorant of the Lord. If they weren’t this world would be a vastly different place.

And then there’s unbelief. Unbelief can be benign or malignant; depends on the person, depends on the situation (and I might add, the contributing factors of life, heritage, locale, etc.). Unbelief is a lack of capacity to believe. Many things can get in the way of unbelief. If there is too much in the way, belief is stopped or hampered by too many other beliefs. Priorities, preferences, perspectives can block belief.

Once, St. Paul didn’t believe. Then, he did. Paul was given the capacity, by Jesus, to believe in Jesus. Our prayers for the unbelieving ought to be: Lord, give them the capacity to believe. I was at a funeral yesterday of one who took away life in suicide. There wasn’t enough belief to prevent that from happening. Sometimes, it is believed to be the only way out. It isn’t but some can only believe that it is.

Paul, as are all true believers, was given a capacity by Jesus Christ to believe. Ignorance can be overcome by knowledge (and experience) – that’s why we preach the gospel. Unbelief can only by overcome by the grace of the Lord who opens our eyes to reality, and possibility. Lord God, we need You!

Father, this morning, I too can say what Paul said: even though I was a puke, a putz, and a punk, You reached down from Your throne to take up residency in my heart – You gave me the capacity by the preaching and reaching of the gospel, to believe. You overcame my ignorance and unbelief and to this day I am taught and led by You. May my life be not that of religion, but that of reality, that no matter how low and lousy we are, You Lord, save those whose capacity is expanded by You, to believe in You. Amen

No comments: