Tuesday, June 28, 2016

This World

6/28/2016

2 Timothy 4.10 10 …for Demas, because he loved this world, has deserted me and has gone to Thessalonica. Crescens has gone to Galatia, and Titus to Dalmatia. St. Paul

This is just about the end for Paul; he’s getting nearer and nearer, and you can almost hear the weariness, and perhaps, sadness, in his voice. This is not to say Paul was giving up, no, that’s for weaklings like me. But Paul, at this time, is getting closer and closer to his earthly departure.

And then there was Demas. Demas had, at this point, deserted Paul. And his desertion was founded upon his love for this world. What a sad statement. I know Paul was a man just like us and he had his moments. He had his highs and his lows; St. Paul was every bit as human as you and me. I think he was grieved over Demas’s departure. But I think he carefully chose his words: because he loved this (present) world. Demas loved the bright lights of Broadway.

Or Demas loved someone. Or Demas just wanted out. Paul was sad, but I think he saw what he saw in Demas and in sadness, let him go. I bet they’d had many conversations and Demas kept drifting further and further away. Paul’s complaint was Demas loved this world. Demas, apparently didn’t love the next world; this one was good enough for him.

If I fast forward to today, I see many whose tendencies are to love this present world. This world, to them, is good enough and all they’re really looking for. No complaints, they are home. Can’t say that I blame them, the sunset pics on Facebook this morning were pretty spectacular. But for the child of God, there is His Heavenly Kingdom – the one that Paul mentions later in this chapter (2 Timothy 4.18).

We love this present world because it is all we know. But this present world is dark and shadowy and merely an image of what is to come. God’s sales pitch is: “What no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, and what no human mind has conceived”— the things God has prepared for those who love him— (1 Corinthians 2.9) We haven’t a clue of the next, but we do have a promise.

Thessalonica and everywhere else on earth, is passing away. Every place we go on the planet is tainted with sin and death because if we go there, we bring it with us no matter how mild-mannered we are. Earth is the proving ground. Earth is the crucible where relationship with God is formed and our character is made. But earth is passing away. To be sure there will be a new heaven and a new earth, but the presence of God is our destination…not Thessalonica.

This world has darkness – heaven does not. This world has death and decay – heaven does not. This world has sickness and disease – heaven does not. This world has friction – heaven does not. We may meet Demas in heaven. He may have gone down to Thessalonica and found his love for this world was not what it was all cracked up to be. Maybe Demas repented. I hope so; Thessalonica holds no candle to heaven.

Father, may I learn the lessons that with You is where I am going. As good as this world is at times, it holds no candle to Your Heavenly Kingdom. May the eyes of my faith keep me there – amen.

No comments: