Tuesday, June 7, 2016

The Good in Discomfort

6/7/2016 

Ephesians 3.20-21 20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. – St. Paul

This morning I woke up about 4:30 and thought about life – okay, I fretted about life. I thought about my kids, my wife, my vocation and all the stuff surrounding us. I thought – briefly – about the political scene and the future that awaits us when: meet the new boss, same as the old boss. I thought about the economy and people I know. I thought, Dude, go back to sleep.

So, I did what I usually do, I got up, made coffee and sat down to read my Scripture passage for the day, and I read Psalm 18 and Ephesians 3. And I did what I think a lot of people do: I like the ‘good’ parts and sort of glossed over the ‘uncomfortable’ parts. I’m human, what can I say?

Psalm 18 is a masterful song of praise that David composed when he was being chased and hounded by King Saul (who thought the only good David was a headless David). And David sang of God’s power and strength and might and defense. But oddly enough, David’s singing didn’t save him from Saul and the experience of having to run for his life. But God was with him. And God is with me and you and whatever it is we’re going through.

And after Psalm 18 I read, Ephesians 3. We all like the good in Scripture; we don’t like the uncomfortable. Ephesians 3, especially the verses above, are like candy to our minds. Who wouldn’t want God to do immeasurably more that all we ask or imagine? I mean, really! We want that! But we have to take the uncomfortable that comes with it.

Yesterday I read of two men who climbed the second-highest mountain in Bolivia in search of the black-box from a plane that crashed there 31 years ago. As he began the journey one of the men tweeted: “Strive for adventure. Seek out discomfort, challenges, new experiences. Because I’m alive.” I think what I zeroed in on was the phrase: Seek out discomfort. Nothing like discomfort to help us appreciate comfort.

But it’s more than just seeking out discomfort; it’s finding out who we really are in discomfort and it’s learning how to silence the demons shouting at us in the midst of discomfort. It’s about knowing that there is a God in Heaven who does, immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, in the midst of our discomfort.

Do you want to be comfortable my friend? Then seek that God. The God who can make beauty out of ashes. The God who can bring life out of death. The God who can and does do immeasurably more that all we ask or imagine. We just have to find Him in that place of discomfort; the crucible of our character.

Father, today I pray and embrace Psalm 18 where David sang in the midst of his pain, fear, and discomfort. I also embrace the reality that for all of us, You do immeasurably more that all we ask or imagine. You provide answers that are beyond our ability to comprehend. You are God and I am glad. Amen.

No comments: