Friday, April 29, 2016

From Saint to Satan

4/29/2016

Matthew 16.23 Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns.”

I have been in Church for many years and have heard many sermons, some of which, I staunchly disagreed. Now, it wasn’t just that I disagreed, it was how I disagreed. Had I the opportunity, I would have taken the pastor aside and, like Peter with Jesus (in Matthew 16), rebuked him for saying such things. How could you!? Why would you!? The difference between me and Peter is who we were listening to…

Peter was a pretty smart guy but at times he appeared to act as if he was a little too big for his britches. He, like many of us, knew just enough to be dangerous. Peter was laboring under the common human misconception of: I think I know what I thought you said… Peter was looking for the warrior king and Jesus was explaining to them that He was the Servant King. Swords were for another day.

I’m not sure if Jesus was irritated with Peter at that moment, but Jesus did emphatically make His point: Get behind Me Satan! You don’t have God’s thoughts in mind, but your own! (Peter previously, when asked who people thought Jesus was replied: “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”) But Peter was hacked that Jesus would say that He was to suffer at the hands of the religious leaders and be killed. That didn’t square with Peter’s ideas of how things ought to be and Peter mouthed off, and Jesus rebuked him! I can only imagine the other guys thinking: Did He just say what I think I thought I heard!?

At times, I have a pretty high opinion of my theology but I’m learning that high opinions usually have low reception. But I do know this: to avoid going from saint to satan is simply learning how to be humble and considerate of what others say. Combative words have a place, but not in ordinary conversations where rebuking is the only agenda. Nobody likes to be called: Satan.

Peter learned very quickly what not to say, but I also think he learned there is way more to spirituality than building spiritual constructs around human thinking and reasoning and calling it truth. The lesson for me: be quick to listen and slow to react. Listen to what is being said, and if there is a difference of opinion, don’t make that a hill to die on. Paul said, Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction. I think that’s pretty good advice…we can go from Saint to Satan in the blink of a pre-conceived notion.

Lord, You taught Peter to be careful with what he thought and said. May I learn that lesson as well. Teach me Your ways and help me to share them with great patience and intention. Talking about You ought to be encouragement, not combat. May I learn to protect what You call me – a saint – in order that others may see that I am, and not, by my words, that I ain’t. For Your good and Your glory – Amen.

No comments: