Monday, April 4, 2016

Believing, I Speak

4/4/2016

2 Corinthians 4.13 But we continue to preach because we have the same kind of faith the psalmist had when he said, “I believed in God, so I spoke.” – St. Paul

I think one of the biggest issues Paul had with the Corinthians was they didn’t trust him that he was the real deal. They seemed to question his leadership, his authenticity, and his motives. At first, I think they accepted him but then things began to change and their trust began to erode. Perhaps Paul didn’t stay with them long enough. Perhaps they were jealous of the attention he paid to other churches. Whatever it was, it is apparent to me that Paul had issues with Corinth like no other church.

The fourth chapter of 2 Corinthians seems to be about perseverance. Paul’s love for the Corinthians endured despite their treatment of him – Paul saw, through faith, the strength and potential they had, but perhaps didn’t recognize. Paul trusted in the Lord’s power to save them, not his own; but he wasn’t going to give up on them in the meantime.

So, Paul quoted Psalm 116: I believed in God, so I spoke. The verse in Psalm 116 is this: I believed in you, so I said, “I am deeply troubled, Lord.” (V. 10) The question is, where do I go when it all falls apart? To whom do I turn in times of need? The obvious answer is: God. I turn to God because that is where I’ve placed my faith. Aside from God, who else is going to come alongside and provide the things I need?

Psalm 116 is all about maintaining one’s faith in times when it appears it’s all over – there’s no other option than finality. Verse 15 of the Psalm says, God deeply cares when His loved ones die. Paul makes the comparison that it isn’t just physical death, but emotional, relational, and even perhaps spiritual death as well. The treatment he received from the Corinthians seemed to be pretty rough. He even said to them, When Timothy comes, see to it that he has nothing to fear while he is with you… (1 Corinthians 16.10)

And Paul, never gave up on the Corinthians. He kept seeking their highest good and believing that God would bring out the best in them for the sake of the Kingdom.

When it comes to relationships and being with people, sometimes the only thing we can say in response is: “Lord, I believe in You, so I continue to speak. I don’t know what is happening with so and so, or why; but I believe in You and so I speak, God, I am deeply troubled by all this and I ask for Your help, Your restoration, Your reconciliation. You are all I have, and I can’t fix this on my own!”

Lord, I believe, therefore I speak: I believe in You despite what it is I’m experiencing and how it is I’m feeling. I trust You God in this place where I find myself and know that the right things will happen because You are God. Help me Lord! I speak, because I believe. Amen.

No comments: