Thursday, December 10, 2015

The Gift

12/10/2015

2 Timothy 1.6-7 6 For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands, 7 for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control. – St. Paul

St. Paul was at the end of his life and earthly ministry, and wrote a letter to his protégé, Pastor Timothy. Chances are this was the last communique between the two, and by the time Timothy did his best to get to where Paul was, the imminent apostle was probably already dead. A friend of mine wrote, just yesterday, that these words of Paul’s may have been his famous last.

I am looking for a life verse for 2016; I just may have found one. I am not expecting to die soon, but now, at the age I am, I am thinking seriously about the next 10 to 12 years and what they may look like for me in this fickle and fluid world in which we abide. I want to fan into flame the gift of God given to me, not necessarily by the laying on of someone’s hands, but as it truly is, from God Himself.

The other day Cathy and I were remarking about the seasons of life and she made the comment that she didn’t mind the late fall. I said, Darlin, please, this ain’t the late fall, it’s only mid-fall; I don’t want us to rush things. But I do want to keep an eye on the seasons and I want to finish well. “I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God…” that’s not bad motivation for the spring, summer, or fall.

What is the gift that God has given me? What is the gift that God has given you? Anymore, I see the gift as the gift of Himself. I see the gift less as vocation or occupation but more as power and presence; His power, His presence. My goal in the next ten or so years is to more fully connect with the power and presence of God in my life. Or at least, to connect with Him as I never have before. To connect in reality and not theory. To connect powerfully (His, not mine); to connect in love and self-control – the battles of life are too fierce for me to tackle on my own.

Right now, I am focused on today and fanning the flame of the gift as it pertains to what is presently before me. All I have is this moment, and if all works out, this day. But for right now, it’s His power and presence that sustain me. Learning to get myself out of the way so He can do what He desires in me, through me, and for me, is what is most important. That’s the gift.

In the year to come, I want to be present in His presence and enabled by His power. My life depends on it…


Father, may I, in the power and presence of Yourself, fan into flame the gift of Your presence and power. May I learn to quit struggling to be, and just be. I pray for vision, strength, and courage as I look toward the coming year, and may our relationship blossom and grow as never before. Use me in Your Kingdom work, and may I burn brightly for that – thank You for meeting all my needs in the meantime – amen.

No comments: