Thursday, December 31, 2015

All I Ever Have

12/31/15

Revelation 21.5 And he who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.” – He = God

Perhaps it’s fitting to finish a year with a reading from the last Book of the Bible. Perhaps it is fitting to finish a year with words from the last chapters of the last Book of the Bible. Perhaps it is fitting to be reminded that at the end of the Book, God has these words for us: “Behold, I am making all things new.”

I’m not sure about the rest of the world, but we here in the west have this thing about the new year. We have celebrations, resolutions, high expectations, and probably a sense of renewal: it’s the New Year!

So, maybe this year will be different than last. So, maybe this year, I’ll accomplish what I put off last year. So, maybe this year, I’ll have new opportunities and learn different things, and my relationships will grow deeper and richer. Or maybe not. But this one thing I can count on: And He who [sits] on the throne [says], “Behold, I am making all things new.” If He says it, can I receive it?

Many want the new year to be different. Well, what if we didn’t wait for eternity for that to happen? What if we take God at His word today? What if we start seeing things the way He sees them: all things new? To us, it might be the same old routine, but what if we begin to look at the same old with a new perspective – the way God does? Everything is always new with God.

I am excited about this New Year because God has things in store for me that I haven’t even considered yet. There are relationships to be built, adventures to take, disappointments to weather, and lessons to be learned. And then there’s the challenge of keeping the same excited attitude each day of the coming year as I have right now; I can let this dissipate by July.

And then there’s this: in reality, I only ever have right now. A New Year starts anew with each passing moment. Yesterday is history; tomorrow is a mystery; I’m to enjoy the gift of today because it’s the present. Can I walk into what I perceive as the new year with the understanding of the present (gift) of the present? It’s all I really ever have. And guess what – today is always New Year’s Day – right?

I had fun in the last year – as I perceive it to be and to have been. I’m looking forward to the new year with all I perceive it to be – and then some. But today is the present and it’s a gift because, real or perceived, it is all I have: the eternal now. Heaven will be different but it too will always be the Eternal Now.

My friends, God’s richest blessings as you contemplate and participate the New Year. May you learn and grow and contribute and receive. May you breathe gratefully each breath and savor each moment: it’s all you have. My prayer for you is enrichment and enjoyment of this life we have and for the Heaven that awaits; may it be yours in its fullness right now, and forever! God bless you and Happy New Year.

PS: It starts all over again tomorrow…

Thank You Jesus!

No comments: